Story of encouragement Wrongly Accused NAI

Am743

Story of encouragement Wrongly Accused NAI

Post by Am743 » Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:47 am

This is for anyone who needs some reassurance or questions answered or comfort whatever the case may be as I was seeking that myself from forums alike.

The system sucks and unfortunately for me I got caught up in it all and wrongly accused of NAI.

I won't put too much detail but you can DM me. long story short 3month old hurt at home me and partner rushed to A&E to check over then accused of causing the harm taken away from our baby and arrested! Told we can't see little one without supervision almost forced into signing s20 papers after being threatened "If you don't we are taking you to court and taking your PR away". Police protection orders were in place and ICO in place.
Luckily little one placed with family member was the only positive at that time.
Everything was rushed and escalated to the highest they made us feel like we were murderer's.
My rights to breastfeed taken away and I just had to deal with it, we didn't feel listened to and simply told we were lying about cause of injury. I did not witness it yet still treated as a suspect throughout. I've read other stories where 1parent moves out of the home!? But no option for us.

It took 6months and finally got little one home as judge ruled it was indeed an accident. 5months of that was waiting for court date. L.A had nothing to even accuse us of in the end as it was all speculation.(The court cannot do this).

It's heartbreaking that families go through this..It WILL end. We have been through hell and back and will never get that time back.That day I had to walk away from my little baby in a time when they needed me most.
I've missed so much of their first year, our birthdays first Christmas without little one it's been so tough.

This has caused so much heartache for my family the VERY personal questions asked, the scaremongering from SS they have shown no empathy. And a huge turnover of staff.
It's put strain on relationships with partner and the family when we had no issues before, all this caused and we just get 'sorry that's the system'.
Unfortunately it's all about how you present; drink, drugs, appearance, where you live, whether you work, debt, past history etc can all be used against you. And it is scary that people could be telling the truth yet any of those factors could aid someone's opinion of you.
The fact that hospital staff are allowed to discriminate and make assumptions about others and jump the gun without thinking due to covid and DV cases not even giving proper thought into how they could ruin people's lives is disgusting.
Not everything is DV or abuse.

Once care proceedings start from my experience all you can do is ride it out; it's painful but that is all you can do until your final hearing or fact find whatever it may be. Focus on those visits with little one. And always work with the L.A as that goes in your favour.

This is meant to be somewhat positive and I hope gives some hope.
If anyone knows what could be done afterwards in terms of complaint would be helpful.? Would I even get anywhere ?
All the best to those going through it..Be Strong X.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Story of encouragement Wrongly Accused NAI

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:21 am

Dear AM743,
Welcome to the Parents Forum and thank you for posting about your experience.
I cannot imagine how difficult things must have been at this time for you and your family. Thank you for giving helpful advice for parents in similar situations as well as hope. You ask about lodging a complaint against children services. You could check your local authority complaints procedure. Usually, complaints are not dealt with when there are court proceedings because information is dealt with by the court and any complaints might be “resolved” via the proceedings. Here is our advice sheet about complaints.

Kind regards,
Suzie

ParentInNeed50

Post by ParentInNeed50 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:42 am

Sorry to hear your story.

Can I ask what nai is?

HH_Dad

Post by HH_Dad » Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:25 am

NAI = Non-Accidental Injury. When they say that, they are basically accusing you.

Innocentmamas

Post by Innocentmamas » Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:30 pm

My partner and I are in the process of proving we did not intentionally harm one of our twins. Nobody will actually say so, but we are being accused of a NAI. We are being treated like criminals. Would love to speak with you if possible. X

Missing_two

Post by Missing_two » Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:58 am

Thank you for your words - in terms of what u can do go to a big no win no fee solicitor and sue the pants off SS as I will be doing when I get my little ones back

Accusedparent12

Post by Accusedparent12 » Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:59 pm

Hi ,
Me and my partner are going through the same situation at the minute with our baby girl who is 5 months. She’s been placed into interim care plan with a family member so that is also the only positive we have and of course that our baby girl is making a significantly speedy recovery awaiting to be discharged from hospital. I would really like to speak to you over the phone if possible or on DM. For support and reassurance if that’s ok could you call me or text me on X. Thank you so much for this post of encouragement it instantly made us feel reassured to know that others have gone through this awful situation. Thank you
Last edited by Suzie, FRG Adviser on Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moderated to remove personal information

KatKat10

Post by KatKat10 » Sun Aug 21, 2022 12:43 pm

AM743

It sounds awful what you have been through, I am glad you have got your baby back home. Be cautious though, anytime you go to the hospital, GP etc about your child it will be on the records that the SS have previously been involved and they tend to contact them without your knowledge. Same with your self, if you go to your GP and say you are having mental health issues, depression etc, the GP will contact the SS and notify them.

It is worth raising a complaint, the LA has complaints procedure but include the director of children's services and the CEO and who ever is the portfolio holder of children's services, local councilors and your MP. That way it highlights bad practice and they cannot ignore complaints. They are not above the law, they are funded by taxpayers money and should be held to account.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Wed Aug 24, 2022 10:36 am

Accusedparent12 wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:59 pm Hi ,
Me and my partner are going through the same situation at the minute with our baby girl who is 5 months. She’s been placed into interim care plan with a family member so that is also the only positive we have and of course that our baby girl is making a significantly speedy recovery awaiting to be discharged from hospital. I would really like to speak to you over the phone if possible or on DM. For support and reassurance if that’s ok could you call me or text me on X. Thank you so much for this post of encouragement it instantly made us feel reassured to know that others have gone through this awful situation. Thank you
Dear Accusedparent12,

I am sorry to hear about the situation that your daughter and family are in. If you would like to speak to one of our advisers, you can call our free and confidential advice line on 0808 801 0366 between 09:30 and 15:00, Monday to Friday.

If you would prefer to receive some advice on this forum, please feel free to post the relevant information and what advice it is that you are looking for.

Best wishes,

Suzie.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Fri Aug 26, 2022 12:32 pm

KatKat10 wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 12:43 pm AM743

It sounds awful what you have been through, I am glad you have got your baby back home. Be cautious though, anytime you go to the hospital, GP etc about your child it will be on the records that the SS have previously been involved and they tend to contact them without your knowledge. Same with your self, if you go to your GP and say you are having mental health issues, depression etc, the GP will contact the SS and notify them.

It is worth raising a complaint, the LA has complaints procedure but include the director of children's services and the CEO and who ever is the portfolio holder of children's services, local councilors and your MP. That way it highlights bad practice and they cannot ignore complaints. They are not above the law, they are funded by taxpayers money and should be held to account.
Dear KatKat10

Thank you for your support to others on the Forum.

All professionals (practitioners) have a duty to safeguard children, this is outlined in Working Together to Safeguard Children 2018. Please see pages 18 onwards which relate to information sharing.

Doctors, GPs are guided by the British Medical Association, please see their booklet here.

I hope this is helpful to everyone the Forum.

Best wishes

Suzie