How long will my son be on a CPP for

Heg1234

How long will my son be on a CPP for

Post by Heg1234 » Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:29 pm

My son was placed on a child protection plan under emotional abuse because the police were called on a couple of occasions due to his dads drunken behaviour. Me and sons dad are now separated.
There are no concerns with my parenting or my sons day to day care.
Social workers come round unannounced every single week. I have done a domestic abuse awareness course.
I had my first review and they kept him on the plan, his dad has not yet been assessed because the social worker hasn’t even got round to it yet. My next review is in may.
What is the likely hood my son will be taken off the plan in may? It’s driving me mad because it’s not me that’s done anything, they know and see my son is happy and has a good life. How long does a cpp usually last in situations like mine? And do social have to come round every week unannounced? Any idea when this will stop?
Thanks

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: How long will my son be on a CPP for

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:07 pm

Dear Heg1234

Welcome to the parents’ discussion board and thank you for your post. My name is Suzie and I am FRG’s online adviser. I am sorry to hear of the difficulties that you and your son are experiencing and also that there has been a delay in responding to you.

You have experienced domestic violence from your son’s father, from whom you have now separated. A child protection plan was made because your son has been deemed to have been harmed by the domestic violence. It is good that you have completed a domestic abuse awareness course which I hope you found helpful?

You are cooperating with the child protection plan but I think that it is stressful for you and you are wanting to know if it might come to an end at the second review in May. It is possible for a plan to come to an end then if the threshold is no longer met. This is most likely to happen if all parts of the plan have been completed and there are no new incidents or concerns. There is no specific timescale as to how long a child protection plan should last (only timescales for review); the plan should be focused and not indefinite.

There will always be unannounced visits as part of a child protection plan as well as planned visits. Does the current child protection plan say that the unannounced visits should be weekly? It is usual for social workers to want to see a child with a child protection plan at least once a fortnight, either by announced or unannounced visits but every child’s situation and plan may be different.

Is there a timescale in the child protection plan for your son’s father’s risk assessment to be completed?

These are questions that you can raise at core groups which you and your ex-partner probably take part in separately due to the domestic violence Your son’s father should ideally be the one chasing up his assessment as it affects him in particular. He should also make sure he gets support with his alcohol use as you describe how he was abusive when drinking.

You can also ask your social worker what else they recommend that you do in order to reduce their concerns and bring the child protection plan to an end as soon as possible.

A family group conference (where managed safely in cases of domestic violence) can sometimes increase safety and reduce children’s services concerns. If you think this might be helpful in your case you can ask for one to be arranged.

Here are our advice materials on domestic violence and our child protection advice sheet for your information.

I hope this helps a little.

With best wishes

Suzie