Pre birth assessment

Honeybee05

Pre birth assessment

Post by Honeybee05 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:13 am

Hi.

I am concerned.

Bk in 2016 kids removed. Done recommend therapy ect. 2018 a placement broke down. I applied for her, got recassessed by a psychologist who said I have gained insight and beginning to change, judge felt that I have changed but worried about sustaining change at that time. Two years on, pregnant with another baby. With diff partner. I am bout to have a orebiryh assessment done.

Will social services stick to what the judge said about last case that she was worried about be sustaining change or will L A just assess me and see if they think I’ve changed? Will they just take me straight to court when baby is born? A lot as happens positive over the last two years.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Pre birth assessment

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:14 pm

Dear Honeybee05,

Welcome to the Parent’s Forum. My name is Suzie and I am Family Rights Group online adviser.

Congratulations on your pregnancy.

I am sorry to hear that your children were removed in 2016. You had the recommended therapy and you were re- assessed by a psychologist in 2018 when the court considered your children being returned to you. The court recognized that the therapy had worked, but was worried about whether those positive changes could be maintained by you. So there just has not been enough time for you to prove this in 2018.

However, you are now 2 years further on and in a new relationship. There is a pre-birth assessment by children services and very likely a new psychological assessment (maybe by the same psychologist?) to see whether those changes have been sustained.
As you have a new partner he would need to be also assessed as well as his friend and family network.
The pre- birth assessment is likely to follow the Assessment Framework but ask the social worker how long the assessment will take and what it will involve.
Both you and dad will need to cooperate with the assessment.
Are you having contact with your children? If so, how is this going? The social worker will want to observe a contact visit.
Think about whether there is any support you need to do. Did the last psychological report recommend any? Did the court judgment recommend you undertake further work or support? If so, consider with the social worker what support is available. S/he can look for the necessary support for you.
At the end of the assessment, the social worker will recommend that either your unborn baby is placed on a "child in need plan" or that a "child protection conference" takes place to see whether there should be a "child protection plan".

Is there a peri- natal mental health service available in your area? If so, you could ask the midwife to refer you. The advantage is that they can support you during your pregnancy and for 1 year after the birth. Ask the midwife about mental health support. It is important that you work well with the social worker and go to all your health appointments.

Your question is about whether children services will take care proceedings based on the 2018 judgment.

Care proceedings can only happen after your baby is born and children’s services would have to show that your baby is at risk of suffering significant harm at the time of the care proceedings. A court will take into account the history but also want to see what changes have been made.
A pre-birth assessment will be important in helping children services decide the way forward. It may decide that that is no need to go to court as your baby will be safe with you. If problems (such as your mental health) are identified by the pre-birth assessment, the court would have expected support to be put in place to help resolve those problems.
Although it is a long way off, if a decision was made to go to court, you and your partner will be entitled to free legal aid and to be separately represented. I suggest you think about how you and baby could be kept together safely while further assessments take place. For example, your partner could be assessed as a safe parent to supervise you and baby; a family member or friend could be assessed to support you, or a mother and baby placement could be considered.
Hopefully, there has been enough time for things to have changed so that court is no longer an option.
I hope my post helps. Here is the A to Z of terms which might help.

If you have any questions or need further advice, please post again or call our private and confidential advice line on 0808 801 0366.
Best wishes,
Suzie