Daughter in desperate need of help

Post Reply
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:35 am

Daughter in desperate need of help

Post by Sherlock84 » Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:19 am

Me and my daughter need help and advice, nearly 3 years ago age 7 she was brave enough to tell people she was being abused by her father, she told school the told social services who found her father already had a social services report open in another county for shaking his 7yr old step son so hard he blacked out, they stopped all contact for my daughter but shortly after closed the case as it was all " pre historic " and they where unable to act upon it. He then took me to court for more access at which point my daughter broke down and told us what he had been doing to her and her half sister and step brothers. Cafcass have said he has every tight to see his daughter even though she has made clear she doesn't want to know him but shes being ignored even now at 10 we are having to carry her into a bold moves contact centre she refuses to communicate or interact with him but is being threatened and ganged up on by the manager. They say I'm controlling her and stopping her from feeling she is able to communicate with her father, they just refuse to accept her views. I'm now being told if I don't "let her" see her father the court will give him full custody to allow her to reconnect with him, and possibly even foster care, I'm at my wits end everything i do or say is twisted or mis interpreted by cafcass. My daughter has no true representation in court and seems to have no human rights to protect her!

User avatar
Suzie, FRG Adviser
Posts: 3265
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:57 pm

Re: Daughter in desperate need of help

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:46 pm

Dear Sherlock84

Welcome to the parents’ discussion forum and thank you for posting.

I see that your post relates to private law contact since you do not think your daughter should be having contact with her father. The advice I can give is only basic as private law does not fall within our remit.

You say that your daughter was abused by her father and this was reported to children’s services but they did not act upon it as it was considered ‘pre historic’. Alleged historic abuse is not usually a reason to close a case. It is not clear if the police were involved but children’s services closed the case. Subsequently, there were additional disclosures of abuse but still no mention of police involvement.

Your concern now is that in court proceedings Cafcass has recommended contact. Contact is taking place but your daughter does not wish to have contact with her father and does not engage when she attends. Sometimes, in contact disputes, the view that the resident parent does not support contact is taken and, in some instances, the court may consider a change of residence. This would have to be considered taking account of what is best for the child in question.

Alternatively, because of what might be considered animosity between yourself and your daughter’s father and the impact on your daughter’s emotional well-being, the court could ask children’s services to undertake a s.37 assessment. This assessment would be for them to investigate whether they should consider applying for a care order which, could in some circumstances, lead to a child being in foster care. This course of action would not be taken unless there is evidence the child is suffering harm and the appropriate threshold is met for care proceedings.

If it is, as you believe, the case that your daughter’s voice is not being heard, you can make contact with the National Youth Advocacy Service who may be able to assist. The court could also consider appointing a children‘s guardian for your daughter. The guardian considers the child’s welfare and reports to the court.

You do not say whether you are legally represented. If you are not, then you can contact Child Law Advice on 0300 330 5480 for more advice in respect of your case.

Other organisations that may be able to assist you are Rights of Women, We are Advocates or Law Works who may be able offer free legal advice.

I hope you find this helpful.

Best wishes


Post Reply

Who is online

In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 318 on Fri May 28, 2021 9:04 pm