Being treated wrong by social services and being put on child protection through lies which are proven

Post Reply
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:35 pm

Being treated wrong by social services and being put on child protection through lies which are proven

Post by Piper » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:12 am

Hi....please could someone give me some advice on how social services can put our children on child protection through false information and what can we do to get help. Me and my partner have been on social services now for 14 months after being told the case was closed.
We have recently had a son and there was a conference held without us being told.....they have put our children on child protection through stuff that happened months ago and they have admitted that the professionals have got to hold a review because they have made services know what they have done and because the social worker appointed to us had lied the manager had even changed her. Now as far as I'm aware you can't just change social workers??? There is so much more to this but we really don't know which way to turn...putting us on a order through history is nuts ....please could someone give us the right information on what to do please

User avatar
Suzie, FRG Adviser
Posts: 2832
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:57 pm

Re: Being treated wrong by social services and being put on child protection through lies which are proven

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:32 pm

Dear Piper

Welcome to the parents’ discussion board and thank you for your post. I am sorry that you have not received a response sooner due to the volume of posts we are receiving. I am also sorry to hear of the difficulties you and your family are experiencing.

You are very unhappy with the way children’s services have treated you and your children, who are currently on a child protection plan . This includes your new baby son. (Congratulations on his birth).

You disagree with the basis for the decisions that have been taken and with how things have been done, which you feel has been without your knowledge or consent.

It must be very hard for you to work with children’s services when you feel so strongly that they have not worked openly and honestly with you. However, it is important for the children’s sake that you are able to let them know what you are unhappy about and why, while at the same time cooperating with the child protection plan. By working with the social worker and the other agencies involved you can make sure that you know what is happening, you can show what you are doing to care for and keep your children safe and you can be as informed as possible about what the worries are for the children.

Sometimes decisions are made about children that relate to incidents/ situations or allegations that happened previously – if the children are still being impacted or at risk in some way because of that situation. However, as parents you should always be given an opportunity to put forward your views, both when you have visits from the social worker or when you attend formal meetings such as a core group or a child protection conference . Parents should always be invited and supported to attend conferences (unless that would put someone at risk of harm) and the main meeting that takes place without inviting parents is the strategy meeting which plans any child protection investigation . I don’t know if that is the meeting you refer to? You can ask the new social worker to clarify this for you.

When there is a child protection plan there must always be a follow up review conference to decide if the plan should stay in place or not.

There could be a number of reasons why a family are allocated a new social worker so I cannot really confirm why this happened in your case. Hopefully it is a good thing for you and your family that there is a new social worker involved and that you may be able to work better together.

Here are a few suggestions of what might help:

If you or your partner are vulnerable in some way, maybe through health needs or disability, or due to the difficult relationship you are experiencing with children’s services, you could try to find out if there are any advocacy services locally that might be able to help you. It can be difficult to find an advocate but it is worth seeing if it might be possible. Our advice sheet may help. You can ask the social worker about this too.

• Here are some tips on working with a social worker .
• Here are some tips also on getting ready for a child protection conference - including how to deal with factually incorrect information in reports.
• If you have support from family or friends you could ask for a family group conference to be arranged to bring them together to help support you and make a safe plan for the children.
• If you think it is necessary you can consider making a complaint – but don’t stop keeping to the plan and working with everyone involved.

Just to note, a child protection plan is not an order – if there is any mention of children’s services going to court to seek a court order then please do get in touch with a solicitor urgently or ring FRG’s Freephone advice line to get some advice.

This information about might help explain more about what should and what can happen

Maybe you would like to discuss your situation with an adviser ? If so, you can call our Freephone advice line on 0808 8010366 Mon- Fri 9.30 – 3.00 pm.

I hope this helps.

With best wishes


Pink butterfly
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:08 pm

Re: Being treated wrong by social services and being put on child protection through lies which are proven

Post by Pink butterfly » Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:21 am

Hi can I get some advice please

I am a young autistic mother who had her child stolen from her and placed under an SGO when he was nearly a year old.

Social services came into my life when my unborn child’s father contacted them because he was afraid of being a dad.

On the first meeting with ss we were forced to sign paperwork to allow ss to have access to our medical records, and to discuss how they were going to help/ support us. We told them that we needed to get a new flat as our tenancy was nearly up.

A month later after the first meeting, ss came to see me in our flat which we had set up as home, even though some of our things were in boxes. Ss claimed this wasn’t good enough, they also spoke with our housing officer, this was where the lies started as ss forced us out of our flat claiming that we hadn’t been working with the housing officer when in fact we had been.

A few days later I went into labour and was in hospital, just as labour had started m, ss came in and handed us a letter and told us our child had been placed on a child in need plan.

I couldn’t believe it, a week after I gave birth we were told to attend this meeting set up by social and was told we needed to have a solicitor. The information brought up in the meeting, were lies about my now ex partner, lies about me and my family.

I tried to speak the truth and no one listened. I went back to the hospital and a few days later was told I wasn’t allowed to leave the hospital until ss said I could. There was nothing wrong with my health or my baby’s, the staff were impressed with my care tasks and more but ss wouldn’t listen. After 3 weeks in hospital ss arrived with a car full of our belongings and told us to get in the car as they were talking us to a special unit. We were taken from our family and support network to a place we were isolated in.

Whilst at this unit I was told to complete the assessments otherwise they threatened to take my child from me. I asked ss and the staff multiple times why I had been sent to that place and all I got told was that they had information to say I wouldn’t cope as a parent. Yet they refused to let me show them what I was capable of doing

Fast forward 7 months and we were in court as social still had concerns about my partner at the time and myself. They claimed he had emotionally and physically abused me, yet there was no proof from either of us, and ss never saw us together as a couple.

In court, I was refused to tell the truth about everything that had happened, when the verdict came through from the judge she refused my evidence and believed everyone else’s.

Social services refused to read my autism assessment and claimed I was unable to look after my child. They never undertook any actual assessments nor did they have any proof that I wouldn’t be able to cope with raising a child.

Since my son has forcefully and wrongly been placed on an SGO I have had my contact cut to next to nothing, even tho the court order said it would be twice a week. I have only seen my child 3 times since he was stolen from me. I have made complaints to social, I have been contacting other solicitors and no one will help.

The SGOs are now trying to stop my contact all together, I do not get on with one of them as she has lied to ss about me. Also ss were supposed to bring all my belongings to the most recent place I’ve been living in and now they are refusing, and now the SGOs are threatening to throw my belongings away as well as shut me out of my child’s life.

I am extremely concerned about him as he’s not getting the care he should, yet ss claimed I wasn’t looking after my child even though they were happy and cared for and kept safe.

I have been fighting to get my baby back for nearly a year. I had been to many solicitors and no one seems to want to help. I got myself a business, I’m going to be doing some courses from home so that I can spend more time with my baby.

User avatar
Suzie, FRG Adviser
Posts: 2832
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:57 pm

Re: Being treated wrong by social services and being put on child protection through lies which are proven

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:31 pm

Dear Pink butterfly

Welcome to the parents’ discussion board and thank you for posting.

I am sorry that it has taken some time for you to receive a response to your post.

In your post you mention that the court granted special guardianship order for your son to be cared for by someone else. It appears that this order may have been made as part of care proceedings brought by the local authority.

It is very hard for someone to have a child removed from their care and your distress is clear from your post. Unfortunately, it is not possible to go behind the order made by the court as, although you disagree, the court would have considered all the written and verbal evidence before reaching its decision.

You have mentioned a few things regarding your case. Firstly, that there were lies about you and the care of your child, that children’s services (the new name for social services) forced you out of your home. A social worker does not have the legal right to end your tenancy so I am not sure what you mean when you say they forced you out.

The fact that your child was on child protection plan means that there would have been an assessment to determine whether your child had suffered harm and at risk of further significant harm in the future. A child protection plan gives the opportunity for parents to work with children’s services and other professionals to address the identified concerns.

Children’s services will usually become involved with a family after receiving a referral and there are procedural guidelines. Please see our advice sheet An introductory guide to Children’s Services

If the child protection plan is not working and children’s services consider that the child’s welfare require them to make an application to the court, then they would apply for a care order. Family or friends put forward by the parent or parents can be assessed with a view to having long term care of the child. Alternatively, a family member or friend could apply to the court for an order even if children’s services do not make an application themselves. It is not clear from your post the circumstances in which the special guardianship order was made for your son.

It is possible to ask the court’s permission to apply to discharge a special guardianship order but you would have to be in a position to show the court that the concerns that led to the order being made are no longer relevant and that you have made significant changes. Legal aid may not be available to you to make the application and if you seek advice from solicitors they will want to know that you have an arguable case to present to the court. Unfortunately, saying that children’s services told lies is not likely to be a basis on which to go to court.

In any case, since there were court proceedings before the special guardianship order was made, you would have had the opportunity to inform the court of anything that was incorrect or lies.

Please read our advice sheet Special Guardianship: what does it mean for birth parents? for more information.

At the beginning of your post you mention that you are an autistic mother, were appropriate adjustments made for you, if you needed them, by children‘s services when they were working with you. If you believe this did not happen then you may wish to consider making a complaint about this and our advice sheet Challenging decisions and making complaints provides more information.

You may also find it helpful to contact this organisation which advises mothers whose children are not living with them

Regarding your belongings, you could try asking a police officer to accompany to collect them if you believe there will be any difficulties in you attending by yourself to do so. Alternatively, you could try and make arrangements through children’s services with the special guardians for a time when they can be collected by you or someone on your behalf.

Should you wish to speak to an adviser you can telephone our advice line on 0808 801 0366. The advice line is open from 9.30am to 3pm Monday to Friday.

I hope this is helpful.

Best wishes


Post Reply