Section 20

Post Reply
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu May 30, 2019 8:23 pm

Section 20

Post by 96PDE » Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:18 am

Are social worker supposed to grant the section 20 before initiating emergency hearing? I begged for her to alow me sign the section 20 when I give birth on 15/10/18 by section so had major op but this didn’t matter they disregard my texts and went into court to say we were refusing to allow baby to leave into adequate foster Carers but due to them
Not being fully assessed meant social kept half my pr of my baby. They destroyed my whole life on lies upon lies which I can evident black and white they degraded me and dragged me into court on emergency order whist I couldn’t walk from op high on morphing and in slippers to be told tht ther word stood and nobody would hear the truth they seen lies and accepted those! I have a lot of evidence black and white but are they allowed to do this or can I out complaint in

User avatar
Suzie, FRG Adviser
Posts: 3453
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:57 pm

Re: Section 20

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:53 pm

Dear 96PDE

Welcome to the parents’ discussion forum and thank you for your post.

I am sorry that it has taken so long to respond to your post.

You question in your post whether a social worker has to grant section 20 before an emergency hearing. The short answer is no. However, whether or not section 20 accommodation is appropriate will depend on the particular circumstances that led to children’s services becoming involved.

I am assuming that children’s services were involved with you before the birth of your baby. Perhaps there was a pre-birth plan in place or your unborn baby was on child protection plan.

It is not possible for me to say whether section 20 would have been appropriate but you state in your post that the court was informed that you refused. Perhaps you only agreed when you were in hospital and they were unsure whether you would or not.

As children’s services cannot legally remove a child from a parent or person with parental responsibility without their agreement or a court order they have to apply to the court. It is not clear from your post whether the court granted an emergency protection order or an interim care order both of which would allow children’s services to share parental responsibility. This means they can make decisions about the baby and where he stays.

In both situation you would be untitled to legal representation and able to provide your instructions to your legal team. Your solicitor would be in a position then to inform the court of what went on before and the fact that you were, as you say willing to agree to a section 20 placement.

You should also inform your solicitor of any inaccuracies in the evidence provided to the court by children’s services so it can be brought to the attention of the court.

You have not given very much information about your case so it is difficult to give further advice. Please see out advice sheet Care (and related) proceedings which you might find helpful.

Should you wish to speak an adviser, you can telephone our free confidential advice line on 0808 801 0366. The advice line is open from 9.30am to 3pm Monday to Friday.I hope this is helpful.

Best wishes


Post Reply

Who is online

In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 318 on Fri May 28, 2021 9:04 pm