Does SW have to tell me or ask me???

Moonlight

Does SW have to tell me or ask me???

Post by Moonlight » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:40 pm

Does the saw have to ask or tell me if the career of my son is taking him away over 4 nights? (Which includes missing contact and sidling contact)

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Does SW have to tell me or ask me???

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Wed May 08, 2019 11:36 am

Dear Moonlight

Thank you for your further post and sorry for the late response, as the parents’ forum is very busy at the moment.

Is your son now in foster care with an unrelated carer or has he remained in his grandmother’s care with her being treated as a kinship foster carer or is there a different arrangement in place? I know you are now involved in care proceedings but not sure if this led to a change in your son’s legal status (if he is under an interim care order – ICO ) and if he is now with a new carer?

Whatever your son’s legal status, you are his mum and the social worker should keep you as informed as possible and make sure that contact with you and his sister is prioritised. However, if an opportunity arose for him to have a short holiday that would benefit him and this impacted on the arrangements for you to see your son and for the brother and sister to see each other this would need to be considered, discussed with you and new arrangements made.

If there is an ICO in place for your son these advice sheets on contact with children in care and duties on children’s services when a child is in the care system should be useful to you.

The best option usually is to discuss any concerns or queries directly with the social worker or if need be with the child’s Independent Reviewing Officer .. Ask the social worker to keep you fully updated and to consult with you, as required to do, on all important matters about your son. Looked After Child reviews are also a good place to make sure there is good communication and that you are being properly involved. Here are some tips for working with a social worker and some tips on working with your solicitor too.

You are welcome to post again, as and when you need to. If you do please update us as to the current plans in place for your son.

With best wishes

Suzie