What happens now

Ash26

What happens now

Post by Ash26 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:39 am

I have previously had social services involved with my two children because of suffering domestic abuse. They closed case last year in june. The perpetrator who is the father of my daughter who is now one year old was recalled to prison for the DV but was not charged but is still serving out the rest of his recall and his release date is next year (2020).
He has applied to the courts for contact, I have recieved the forms and invitation to court for ' a first hearing dispute resolution appointment' today. I do not object to him having contact with his daughter, i believe in him having the chance to as the justice system has dealt with his punishment who am i to keep insisting. Obviously if i thought anything untoward was to happen or of it did itd be a different story. What i want to know is how are the social services going to portray me not trying to stop the contact or fighting not to? Will i be blamed like it feels like i always have been, are they going to become involved again and say i am not protecting her because i want her to have the chance to have a relationship with her father? It seems they like to twist things but on my behalf i believe in a chance to change and that the system has served its punishment and it's up to the courts how they want to proceed. Also has anyone got any information at what actually happens with these FHDRA i have no idea what to expect. Thanks

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: What happens now

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:32 pm

Dear Ash26

Welcome to the parents discussion forum and thank you for your post.

Children’s services were previously involved with you family because of domestic violence with your daughter’s father. The case has been closed since June 2018.

It appears that the perpetrator received a prison sentence on conviction and, having been released on licence, breached his licence and was recalled to prison. He is now in prison and has made an application to the court for contact with his daughter.

You are concerned about how children’s services are likely to view your position regarding contact as you do not have any objections to him having contact with your daughter. The issue for chidlren’s services will be, firstly how this contact will be happen and secondly whether this is you wishing to re-establish your relationship with your daughter’s father. He has made an application to the court and will it be for the court to decide on contact but you are able to give your views to the court about contact. Contact is for your daughter’s benefit and as she is only a year old and her father has spent, it seems, quite a large part of her life away from her, she is unlikely to have a memory of him. The question children’s services would want you to consider is whether it is in your daughter’s best interest to have contact at this time with her father.

Your may find it helpful to read information on our website for mothers where domestic violence is involved the link is here

From your post, you will already have had the first hearing and hope it went well.

If you do not have a solicitor representing you, I suggest that you contact Child Law Advice on 0300 330 5480. This organisation advises in respect of private law cases which does not fall within our remit as we advise where children's services are involved.

Best wishes

Suzie

Ash26

Re: What happens now

Post by Ash26 » Sat May 04, 2019 12:26 am

If anyone is ever in a similar situation and wants their child to have a relationship with their dad then don't bother consenting because it's twisted to look as though there's something in it for yourself and they will basically persue you untill you change your stance... i don't believe you can ever get them to work with you, it's easier, cheaper and lower risk to just divide and conquer.