help

A123

help

Post by A123 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:09 pm

im absolutely broken im on day 2 of a 3 day final hearing for my daughter to be placed for adoption on mental health grounds even though everyone has said im stable for a period of 18 months my barrister has told me today that this is a waste of time continuing to contest it im broken beyond words. i think if they are going on mental health grounds it should apply to all people which have issues i have emotional unstable personality disorder.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: help

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:44 pm

Dear A123

Thank you for posting again.

I am sorry that the plan for your daughter is adoption. You say this is because of your mental health but there may also be other factors which children’s services and other professionals believe might impact on your ability to care for your daughter.

You say that you have been stable for a period of 18 months and it feel that you can care for your baby daughter. It may be that although you have been stable this is not considered long enough for the baby. Also, the psychological assessment that you had has resulted in a diagnosis of emotional unstable personality disorder, any recommended treatment is likely to be outside your daughter’s timescale and this may be another reason why it is thought that your daughter needs must be the priority so that she can have stability in a family. This is a really hard for you to have your baby adopted. I think it might help you to read our advice sheet about Adoption: what does it mean for birth parents?.

As your barrister has all the information relating to your case and has assessed your case and the likelihood of success, he or she has advised you that contesting the application by the local authority will not end in the outcome you would like. The concern about you continuing may be because of the impact going through a contested hearing will have on you and your health. I can understand why you want to do all you can to keep your baby daughter. A mental health condition is not in itself a reason a parent cannot look after their child which is why I say above that there is likely to be other concerns which might relate to historical issues in your own upbringing.

It might help you to contact Birthties and MATCH who will be able to offer you support and advice as a mother whose child is likely to be adopted.

If you wish to speak to an adviser you can telephone our advice line on 0808 801 0366. The advice line is open from 9.30am to 3pm Monday to Friday.

It is a difficult situation that you are in and I hope this is helpful.

Best wishes

Suzie