Need help and advice

Post Reply
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:50 pm

Need help and advice

Post by melc » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:08 pm


My partner used to have weekend access with his 7 year old son however his ex broke the court order and our solicitors were unable to trace her to attempt to re-instate the contact order. It has now come to light that his son has been signed over to children's services by his ex. My partner has parental responsibility as he is named on the birth certificate. We have been in contact with the social worker and there is a LAC review meeting today. They requested my partner did not attend this as they wished to speak to the child and understand his feelings at this meeting but stated they could only request this and not actually stop him from going, however they have not notified him of when and where this meeting is being held. All we know is it is today. My partner has been trying to contact social worker for over a week but she never returns his calls. We are in a position to offer his son a stable home but we just feel like my partner is being excluded from everything. Can anyone advise?

Many Thanks in anticipation.

User avatar
Suzie, FRG Adviser
Posts: 3453
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:57 pm

Re: Need help and advice

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:20 pm

Hi melc

Welcome to the board.

You say that your partner has parental responsiblity for his son, and that his ex partner has breached the terms of the contact order put in place by the court. Not only that, his child is now in the care of the Local Authority, and there is a Looked After Review meeting today, but he has been advised not to attend.

Although it is not clear why your partner has been advised not to attend (as a recommendation only), and the circumstances of the separation are not known to the board, may I suggest, at such short notice, your partner does three things as soon as possible.

1. Contact the team manager, and put his proposal to care for his son on a long term basis in writing, and copy this to the IRO (Independent Reviewing Officer), and his solicitor. This is the person who will be chairing this meeting. if he does not have their details, he could obtain these from the duty social worker or team manager.

2. Try to speak to the IRO to put his views forward, explain his situation, but that he has been advised not to attend today's meeting. Request that a copy of the minutes is sent to him following the review

3. Seek urgent legal advice in relation to his child, as he may consider taking the matter back to court, and apply for a residence order.

It is important he does these things without delay, so that even if he is not in attendance, his proposal to be reunited with this son, can be put on the agenda and discussed, as part of today's meeting.

If he wishes to discuss his circumstances in more detail, he could contact our advice line on 0808 801 0366 Monday to Friday 09.30 am to 03.30 pm.

Best Wishes


Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:50 pm

Re: Need help and advice

Post by melc » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:47 pm

Hi Suzie

Many thanks for this advice.

We will make sure your advice is followed and get straight on to this.

Thanks again


Post Reply

Who is online

In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 318 on Fri May 28, 2021 9:04 pm