i need some help advice

Post Reply
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:42 am

i need some help advice

Post by joparks » Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:54 am

my daughter was taken into foster care when she was 8 i have now got her back with no warning [she is now 15] she is under a care order till she is 18 can i get any finacial help

User avatar
Suzie, FRG Adviser
Posts: 3453
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:57 pm

Re: i need some help advice

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:18 am

Hello Joparks

Welcome to the parents forum. My name is Suzie and I am an adviser at Family Rights Group.

As your daughter is still under a care order, you are not able to claim benefits in relation to her so the local authority will need to make some arrangements with you to support the placement.

Before placing a child with his/ her parents under a care order, the local authority should first draw up an agreement with the parent which sets out what is expected of the parent and arrangements for the support of the placement. This should have been discussed and agreed at a Looked After Child (LAC) review meeting before your daughter came home. It is the job of the person chairing that meeting (the Independent Reviewing Officer or IRO) to ensure that everything has been considered to make sure the placement is workable. That would include financial and other support.

Was all of this done in relation to your daughter Joparks? If not, I would advise that you contact the IRO as soon as possible and ask for an urgent review to be arranged to discuss the plans for your daughter and how the local authority intends to support you.

If the plan is for your daughter to remain in your care, the local authority may suggest that the care order is no longer necessary and apply to discharge it. In this case, the local authority would no longer have any parental responsibility for her. Depending on when your daughter turns 16, it may also mean, however, that your daughter would no longer be entitled to leaving care services as she gets older. She will be entitled to these if she remains under the care order. Again, I would advise that you speak to the IRO about the long term plans for your daughter and the implications of these.

I hope that this is helpful Joparks. Please do post again if you have any further questions.

Best Wishes

FRG Adviser

Post Reply

Who is online

In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 318 on Fri May 28, 2021 9:04 pm