Child in care

Child in care

Post by 6113345 » Fri Apr 12, 2024 7:46 pm

My son has been in Foster care for 2 yrs now and I have been sober a year, I go to DACA and attend the addiction team at the joint hospital as well as rock recovery, we only see our SW at the meetings every 3 months, and she only phones if she thinks I've slipped, we have asked several times for a parent assessment and get no answer, we get 4 hours a week supervision, there is no progress at all. We have a lac meeting this Wednesday is there anything I can do to try get things moving forward to getting my son home. Thank you for any advice

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Child in care

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:56 pm

Dear 6113345

Thank you for your post and welcome to the Parents Forum, I am Suzie, an adviser at Family Rights Group.

I am sorry that I was not able to advise you before you attended the looked after child review meeting, I hope it went well.

Retrospectively, and if you were not able to raise your concerns about reunification or contact you can still do this with the chair of the LAC meeting, here is a webpage about how to contact the independent reviewing officer (IRO) – the chair.

From what you say you may be able to ask the other professionals you are involved with to provide documentary evidence about your sobriety and how well you are doing to the social worker.

Here are our webpages about what parents might ‘expect’ from children services departments when their children are under care orders.

I hope this information will be helpful.

Best wishes
Suzie