Dealing With Social Services

special_dx

Dealing With Social Services

Post by special_dx » Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:43 pm

I've had significant problems with social services from the start of our troubles.

They've been telling us contradictory things, failing to give us any written instruction regarding their rules and promising things that then get refused without explanation.

I'd go as far as to say they have later lied about what little they've already said to us and have been using very threatening language.

There has been no transparency and it has caused problems with court etc and has resulted in delays to family supervision for visitation arrangements that have significantly increased the risk of emotional harm to our children. I'm aware that this should be taken into account by the court, but has been ignored.

These problems were raised in the first care meeting as nobody has a clue what they can or can't do or who to contact, but no action was taken by social services.

Our solicitors are also reluctant to tackle these problems, I suspect because they are only funded for a certain amount of time.

Ideally the case needs some sort of oversight where the decision making and communication is audited professionally, but I doubt that would happen in real time. I am tempted to complain to the team manager, but frightened that it will be bad for the outcome of our case.

I need to find a way to trigger some sort of investigation before the case is concluded as they seem intent on taking our children regardless of the outcome and this has been reflected in some one to one discussions.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Dealing With Social Services

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Wed Aug 24, 2022 11:28 am

Dear special_dx,

Thank you for your post.

You say that children are having issues with children's services in what they have communicated to you and inaccurate information. You feel that there has been a lack of transparency and that things have been delayed. You say that this was raised in the first care meeting - I am presuming that you are referring to a looked after review? You say your solicitor is reluctant to address these issues. You are worried about complaining to the team manager.

Firstly, I would advise that if you have any worries about inaccurate information or lack of/poor communication, that you note these down and request a meeting with the social worker. You may also want to request that the manager attend, so that your concerns can be discussed and plan of action developed to address these. I think it would be helpful for you to read our guide on working with a social worker here.

I would also advise that you raise any concerns about your children's care with the independent reviewing officer. You can read more about what the role of an IRO is and what they can do here.

You mention that you have spoken to your solicitor. It may be useful for you to ask your solicitor to write a letter to the local authority outlining your concerns - if they are reluctant to do this, it is important they explain to you why. You can read our guide to working with a solicitor here.

Finally, if you are not satisfied with the local authority's response, you can make a formal complaint to children's services. Please take a look at our complaints page for more information on how you can do this as well as ways you can complain beyond children's services.

Best wishes,

Suzie.