Closed case

Cmgx

Closed case

Post by Cmgx » Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:30 pm

2 years ago when my son was born my partner and I had a heated argument this is the second time this has happened, police were phoned social work visited and closed the case said they were happy to leave it there but said if it happened again it would be investigated further. No further incidents have occurred since as we realised the impact we were causing. My health visitor is always happy and my child is thriving and happy. However for a while we were split up and he was working away from home my HV was aware of this.

2 years have passed I’m now pregnant again and feel paranoid they will kick this back up when I’m asked to declare any info on this at hospital appointments. Should I be worried?

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Closed case

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:18 am

Dear Cmgx,

Welcome to the parents' board and thank you for your post.

You say that 2 years ago, when your son was born, you and your partner had a heated argument which led to the police being called. Children's services became involved, however the case was not taken further. Since then, there have been no further incidents and your health visitor has no concerns. You are now pregnant again and are worried about whether children's services will become involved again.

It is understandable that you are worried about how children's services may respond. Nevertheless, it is always best to be transparent and open with the professionals you are working with. I would advise that you inform your midwife of any previous children's services involvement - your midwife may decide that it is necessary to refer to children's services. If she does do this, she should explain to you why she might have concerns.

I cannot tell you whether children's services will or will not become involved. They may look at the referral and decide that it is necessary to do a pre-birth assessment. You can read a bit more about what to expect from a pre-birth assessment here.

There are a number of outcomes that can come from a pre-birth assessment. If there are no concerns, the social worker may recommend no further action. If they think your family would benefit from some extra support, they may recommend a child in need plan. If they become concerned that your unborn child is at risk of significant harm, they could initiate child protection enquiries and hold an initial child protection conferences. If they are very concerned about the unborn child's safety, they may initiate pre-proceedings or initiate care proceedings once the baby is born. Please note that this only happens as a late resort in the most extreme cases.

I hope you have found this helpful.

Best wishes,

Suzie.