Child protection and pre-proceedings

AnonDC

Child protection and pre-proceedings

Post by AnonDC » Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:47 pm

Good Afternoon is a Child Protection plan and Pre-proceedings the same thing?

Thanks

Questionstoask

Re: Child protection and pre-proceedings

Post by Questionstoask » Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:06 pm

No.
Pre proceedings is before they actually take you to court.
They'll be things expected of you and if they feel satisfied they won't take the matter to court

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Child protection and pre-proceedings

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:13 am

Dear AnonDC

Thank you for your post. My name is Suzie, I am an online adviser and will be responding to your post today.

Child Protection Plan and Pre-proceedings are not the same thing.

A Child Protection Plan is a general term and refers to the actions and procedure put in place by children’s services to keep children safe from harm. It includes measures both for preventing and responding to abuse and neglect. Sometimes it is called a safeguarding plan. I have added a link HERE which provides information regarding child protection enquiries. I have further added a link HERE which provides information regarding child protection plans. I hope you find both helpful.

Pre- proceedings refer to the procedures children’s services must follow if they are thinking about starting care proceedings . These procedures are set in the Public Law Outline (often referred to as the ‘PLO’). This is the legal framework which sets out the duties that children’s services have and the processes they must follow when they are thinking about taking a case to court.

The first step children’s services should take is to send a letter before proceedings to the parents (and anyone else who has parental responsibility). This letter will invite them to a ‘pre-proceedings meeting’ . Social workers and solicitors sometimes call this a ‘PLO meeting’.

The pre-proceedings process is a chance for parents and children’s services to work together. The aim is to get to a point where children’s services are satisfied that the parents can care for their child safely. If the concerns are around the child or young person being beyond parental control, then the process will focus on how to ensure their safety.

During the pre-proceedings process, the parents will be assessed (for example through a parenting assessment, if that hasn’t already happened). This should also be an opportunity for children’s services to put in place support for the family, where needed. I have added a link HERE which has further guidance and information. On this page you will find:

• What the law says about pre-proceedings
• How the pre-proceedings process begins and letters before proceedings
• Pre-proceedings meetings
• Reviewing progress during pre-proceedings

I hope this is helpful. Please post back or call our freephone advice line if you have any further queries about children’s services' involvement. The number is 0808 8010366 and the opening hours are Mon to Fri, 9.30 am to 3.00 pm

Best wishes, Suzie