Social services and booking in appointment

Cakeandtea

Social services and booking in appointment

Post by Cakeandtea » Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:44 pm

Hi all
Me and my Husband are thinking of ttc 3. We have always wanted another and are in a good financial position now and also really want a new addition :)
5 years ago my son (8 at the time) had allegedly touched my daughter and her younger friend. We had social services involvement who suggested as no one knows really if this happened or not and as all the children are so young they advised the children did some little worksheets on age appropriate sex education and after 6 weeks of this everything was closed.
The social worker explained that this would not effect any future pregnancies and for me not to worry. However I know I will need to bring this up at booking in and I feel a little anxious about it all.
I just wondered if anyone had any advice as what might happen at booking in?
Many thanks for reading :)

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Social services and booking in appointment

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:51 pm

Dear Cakeandtea

Welcome to the parents’ discussion board and thank you for your post. My name is Suzie and I am Family Rights Group’s online adviser.

You are thinking of having a third child and worried about whether your family’s previous involvement with children’s services will impact on you. In particular you are concerned abut discussing this with your midwife at any future booking in appointment.

Your son is now 13 but when he was 8 there was an allegation that he had inappropriately touched his sister and her younger friend. Although the nature of the allegation caused a concern the social worker assessed the situation, concluded that it was not possible to confirm if the incident had occurred or not, did some age appropriate safety work with the children and closed the case. They/their manager were satisfied that the issue had been addressed satisfactorily; the children were never subject to a child protection plan or removed from your care and the case was open and closed quite quickly. From the information you provide it does not seem as if there has been any further involvement from children’s services.

Has there been any further allegations or concerns about your son’s behaviour? If you need further information or support about how to keep children safe from abuse or how to get support for a young person you may find the NSPCC or Parents Protect websites helpful. If you do have any worries, you should contact the NSPCC or Children’s Services.

However, if there have been no concerns or involvement since, then if the midwife asks if your children have a social worker then you can answer honestly that they don’t; you can explain about the previous brief involvement if you wish. Midwives do not make referrals in every situation when an expectant parent has had past social work involvement, only if there is a current concern, a relevant history or where the parents have been unable to care for their child/ren. Children’s services will only become involved with a family where the child/ren may need extra support and services or where they may be at risk of harm. It sounds as if the social worker was reassuring about this at the time too. However, I understand that the impact on a family of having social workers involved can be significant and/or stressful.

I hope my advice has helped. If you need further advice you can post back in this forum or call the freephone advice helpline on 0808 8010366, Mon to Fri, 9.30 am to 3.00 pm (except bank holidays).

Best wishes

Suzie