Single Assessment

Pap-Pap

Single Assessment

Post by Pap-Pap » Tue May 24, 2022 8:31 am

I understand Children's Services has a statuary 45 days to produce a single assessment. Is this 45 working days or including weekends? I am finding any communication with Children's Services is so vague and unhelpful. Will both parents be involved in the single assessment if no longer together? I have not yet had any opportunity to say anything! Thanks in advance for any advice/answers.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Single Assessment

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Wed May 25, 2022 2:03 pm

Dear Pap-pap,

Welcome to the parents' board and thank you for your post.

A single assessment - sometimes called a child in need assessment or a children and families assessment - should take no longer than 45 working days. You can find the statutory guidance on page 34 of a document called working together to safeguard children.

A child in need assessment should involve speaking to the child, looking at the relationships within the family and other wider factors such as health, education and housing. This is to identify what needs the child has, whether these can be met by the parents and whether additional support may be needed. If you would like to read more about what an assessment should involve and what guidance children's services should follow, take a look at our webpage on this here.

Any assessment should involve both parents, whether they are together or not. I am sorry to hear that you have not had the opportunity to speak to the social worker and that communication has been vague and unhelpful. I would advise that you speak to the social worker about this as soon as possible in order to develop a way forward. The social worker should take the time to explain the assessment process to you and what you can expect. You may also find it helpful to read our top tips on working with a social worker here.

Best wishes,

Suzie.