16yrold sons behaviour

Post Reply
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:55 pm

16yrold sons behaviour

Post by Gravedigger76 » Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:57 pm

My son is on an interim care order due to behaviours which we cant control but since he's been in care his behaviour has gone worse he runs away nearly every day we don't know where he is and the care home say they can't do anything he is a vulnerable teenager with slight learning difficulties they won't even put him on a dols order if so scared for him but nobody can stop him

User avatar
Suzie, FRG Adviser
Posts: 3417
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:57 pm

Re: 16yrold sons behaviour

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:04 pm

Dear Gravedigger76

Welcome to the Parents’ Forum and thank you for your post. My name is Suzie and I am Family Rights Group’s online adviser. I am very sorry to hear how worried you are for your son.

You have explained that your teenage son has slight learning difficulties and very challenging behaviour which is beyond your control. He is currently placed in a residential care home under an interim care order. Despite this, his behaviour has worsened, he runs away and you are very concerned for his safety. You feel he might benefit from having a Deprivation of Liberty Order (DoL)in place for his own protection but this is not being done.

The situation sounds very difficult and very worrying. It is important that your son’s social worker keeps you as involved and informed as possible about your son’s wellbeing and that you have a good working relationship with the carers your son lives with. The Independent Reviewing Officer is also a key person who is responsible for reviewing your son’s care plans. If you have specific queries about your son or the care and protection he is being provided then you could email the social worker, copying in their manager and the IRO for information . If there is a Looked After Child Review coming up then this is the best forum to discuss your son’s needs.

Your son’s care plans (including his health plan and personal education plan should make it clear what services and support he should be offered in relation to his learning difficulties and his challenging behaviour.

Here is a link to statutory guidance about what happens when a child or young person goes missing from care, for your information. This includes guidance on what should happen when a child goes missing or runs away and also what should happen when they are found.

You should also speak to your solicitor about the current care plan for your son and check with them what the court is directing. Your solicitor will be able to clarify about the DoL issue and whether the court has or will consider this. You should also make sure you are aware when the final hearing is and what children’s services and the Guardian are proposing. You can find helpful information for parents here about how to prepare for a final hearing.

You may find these tips on working with your social worker and your solicitor helpful.

Do you know about the Challenging Behaviour Foundation? Their website has lots of advice and information that may be helpful. And Family Lives offer support and advice to parents in many different situations.

Please post back if you have a further query. If you would like to speak to an adviser, you can ring our freephone advice line on 0808 8010366, Mon to Fri, 9.30 am to 3.00 pm.

With best wishes


Post Reply

Who is online

In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 318 on Fri May 28, 2021 9:04 pm