New Partner Ex Sex Offender and Surprise Pregnancy

SouthernMotherUK

New Partner Ex Sex Offender and Surprise Pregnancy

Post by SouthernMotherUK » Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:22 am

Hello Everyone

My new partner, was convicted of a sexual offence involving indecent images in 2008, his conviction and orders are now all over and generally a reformed person, including being in employment, also helping with rehabilitation of others.

Do I or he have to disclose any of this and what is the protocol as I have become pregnant very suddenly. He is worried that it is going to cause problems as all he wants is to start a family, but worried of the hoops if any.

Thanks in advance

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: New Partner Ex Sex Offender and Surprise Pregnancy

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:05 pm

Dear SouthernMotherUK,

Thankyou for your post and welcome to the parents’ forum. My name is Suzie and I will be advising you today.

Firstly, congratulations on your pregnancy. You say that your partner was convicted in 2008 of a sexual offence and you are unsure if you need to disclose this to children’s services and what the consequences of this may be.

I am unsure from your message if your partner is on the Sex Offenders Register or not. Could you clarify this? Secondly, was your partner given any advice when his orders ended about what information he would need to share if he had a child? If not, or if he can’t remember, it would be a good idea for him to approach the probation service or the solicitor he had at that time to seek advice from them. I would also suggest that you make sure that you are clear yourself about any information that he receives regarding this.

There is not a specific ‘protocol’ around this situation. If you do decide to disclose this information to children’s services then they may decide to undertake an assessment which may include a risk assessment of your partner. If this is done prior to the baby’s birth then there will be more time to do this, whereas if you do not disclose this and children’s services become aware of this information after the baby is born any assessment will need to be completed more urgently.

You may wish to consider accessing support from relevant organisations which work with people and their families who have committed sexual offences. The Lucy Faithfull Foundation and Stop it now! organisations offer this support.

I hope that this is helpful. Please do post again if you have any further queries, or you can call the helpline on 0808 801 0366 (Monday to Friday, 9:30am – 3pm).

Best wishes,
Suzie