Return to birth family

Mumof2abmwg

Return to birth family

Post by Mumof2abmwg » Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:56 pm

Hi anyone

Does return to the birth family within 6months mean I’m definitely getting my children back ? This was on a LAC report by my social worker ?? I’m so confused

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Return to birth family

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:55 pm

Dear Mumof2abmwg,

Welcome to the parents' board and thank you for your post.

You say in your post that it states in your children's LAC report that they will be returned to their birth family within 6 months. You would like to know whether this means your children will definitely be returned to your care.

I am assuming from your post that your children are currently subject to a care order and living with foster carers. Is this correct? I am also assuming that it states in your children's care plan that the longer term plan for their permanency is a return home. This is encouraging and indicates that there is a plan for your children to return to your care. Nevertheless, this will be dependant on you being able to provide safe and consistent care for your children and would usually follow an assessment of your parenting capacity. If this assessment is positive, children's services may support your children living with you under a care order, and then eventually apply to have this discharged.

Do you know if such an assessment has been scheduled? Has the social worker discussed a transition plan detailing how your children will return to your care? What are your current contact arrangements with your children and has this plan been discussed at a recent looked after children review?

If you are able to provide me with a little more information, I will be able to provide you with some further advice.

Best wishes,

Suzie.

Mumof2abmwg

Post by Mumof2abmwg » Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:41 pm

Yes both children are not with me one is with my brother the youngest is in foster care.

There is a parenting assessment ongoing I’ve had my first one already. I’ve already been told by the support worker who’s doing it that I’d walk through it. It has been admitted I’m more than ready to have the boys home they are both well catered for with all age appropriate things.

There is no transition plan as of yet because we are right at the beginning of care proceedings the whole process is going to take 26 weeks.

The thing I’m worried about is if they can’t find out a reason for my youngest bruising. ( he cried until his face was dark red after he calmed red blotches were on his face which later turned into bruising) the professionals are pointing fingers at myself I know I didn’t hurt him and I also know his dad didn’t because he was born 3 weeks early and was 4lb 12oz we have been extremely careful and gentle with him. Any advice would be greatly appreciated thank you in advance T

Mumof2abmwg

Post by Mumof2abmwg » Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:45 pm

Contact with both boys is 3 times a week independently one with them both together also I have nightly FaceTime calls with my little boy and daily calls and texts from my 14 year old thanks again

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:28 pm

Dear Mumof2bmwg,

Thank you for your post.

I can see from your previous posts that you received a reply which explains the care proceedings process, foster care and contact with your children. I would encourage you to read this reply again, as it contains information that answers the questions you have raised. I am linking this here for you again.

It is encouraging that you have received positive feedback from your first session of your parenting assessment, and you should continue to engage in this. This will help inform the final decision as to whether your children should be returned to your care. This is understandably a hugely stressful time for you and I understand you are looking for assurance as to what will happen. Unfortunately I cannot tell you what the outcome of care proceedings will be as this is a decision made by the judge based upon the available evidence and risk of harm.

You are worried about what the court will decide regarding the bruising on your son. This is normally dealt with at a finding of fact hearing - again, if you revisit the previous reply I have linked, there is some information on what this is and what you can expect. A judge will hear all available evidence and will make a decision about the bruising based on the balance of probabilities. I would also encourage you to ask your solicitor to explain this to you further.

I hope you have found this helpful.

Best wishes,

Suzie

Missing_two

Post by Missing_two » Sat Nov 06, 2021 7:04 pm

Hi where do you find out what the plans are at the end of the 26 weeks miy 2 were taken into Foster care unjustly on 29th October all I have is a bashed together ICP thing

I'm on number 3of the parenting assessment but my social are crap it's a complex case where I removed a dangerous to kids and adults ex husband they swept that under the carpet and everything is been put on me

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Mon Nov 08, 2021 1:13 pm

Dear Missing_two,

Welcome to the parents' board and thank you for your post.

You say in your post that your children were taken into foster care last month and I assume that you mean this is under an interim care order (ICO). You would like to know where you find out what happens at the end the 26 week period of care proceedings.

Firstly, you mention your children are subject to an interim care order, which means they are now looked after children. This means that the local authority has certain duties towards them, such as ensuring they have a safe place to live and that their education and health needs are met. This should all be set out in your children's care plan - have you got a copy of this? It also means that meetings called looked after child reviews will be held to discuss your children's care and to review this plan. These meetings are chaired by someone called an independant reviewing officer (IRO), whose job it is to make sure the local authority are meeting their duties to your children whilst they are in foster care. It may be helpful for you to visit our webpage on interim care arrangements and plans for children during care proceedings for more information.

From what you say in your post, it sounds as though care proceedings have recently been initiated in respect of your children and you are therefore at the beginning of the process. Has there been a case management hearing yet? This is a hearing that outlines the timetable for the next 26 weeks, including what assessments should take place and when. You mention that you have started your parenting assessment. I think it would useful for you to take a look at this page, which maps out each stage of care proceedings and explains what hearings will take place and what you can expect from each one.

A decision about your children's longer term care will be made at the final hearing. At this hearing, the judge will make a decision based on the welfare principle - this means that the child's welfare is the court's paramount consideration . The judge will look at all the available evidence - this includes a statement from the social worker and a final care plan detailing what they think the long-term plan for your children should be, written statements from the parents and any other parties to proceedings, any expert assessments and reports, and the guardian's final analysis and recommendations. Take a look at this section on our website, which answers 8 of the biggest questions that most parents have about care proceedings.

You also mention that you are on session 3 of your parenting assessment and it sounds as though you may be having some challenges with your social worker. It is very important that you fully engage with the parenting assessment and that any issues or concerns are addressed as soon as possible to ensure you have the best working relationship. It may be helpful for you to read our tips on working with a social worker for some pointers.

You also mention that you feel your children were unjustly removed. Did you discuss this with your solicitor at the time? Take a look here for some tips on working with your solicitor. It is important that you fully understand why children's services have initiated care proceedings, why the court granted the interim care order and what they now expect from you in order to address the risks they are worried about.

Finally, take a look at our general page on care proceedings which covers all aspects of the process and may answer any other questions you may have.

If you would like to discuss this with any of our advisers, you can call our free and confidential helpline on 0808 801 0366.

I hope you have found this helpful.

Best wishes,

Suzie.

Missing_two

Post by Missing_two » Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:32 am

Hi suzie
Socail have been involved for 18 months on CP plans 4 out of 5 kids now subject to care proceedings one free of any involvement
They were bought in for domestic abuse towards myself and the kids and drug grow
I had him removed - he's coming off the Knight in shining armour despite not wanting to see the 2 they have removed
Care proceedings started in late August first hearing - everything they were told.to do hasn't been done and swpet under the carpet and made it about me I'm sick of reading lie after lie about me and now.my partner- when will his problems be discovered

It's day 12 of the youngest being gone - their not even in the same council area - I'm on SW number 3 first went on mat leave second was unethical had to get her removed never met cafcass women - they were on ISO they never did their job under that the hearing for ICO was a contested one for the ex then it flipped to me after they went snopping in my and kids lifes - I have been working well engaging with the newly qualified SW but it's his manger making it worse - I don't know who the IRO is and I think the last hearing was a case management one - I have to have all my GP and ambulance records pulled a pysch assessment drugs test I have alopecia so no hair due to the stress they don't provide links to meeting leaving me out I'm sick of my health being used discrimination agsisnt me and even now thier out of my care they are still making crap up even the school , I'm so fuming every thing that comes I dread reading I have a hopeful appeal being looked into but I cant go 6 months with out them the eldest has changed already I don't recognise her personality anymore and the youngest is miserable I want them home I've done nothing wrong it's them who have failed me and them big time