Researching for a script I am writing.

MNHLK

Researching for a script I am writing.

Post by MNHLK » Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:39 pm

Hello as the title surgests, I've been tasked with writing a scene for the following scenario. I do hope I am OK posting here, if not I sincerely apologise. The scene is being based on the the subject of fostering, I am eager to keep it as real as I can in regards to the law and proceedings etc. So I am trying to research the matter and looking for advice from the people that work in this role.

The scenario,

A 6 year old child's mother has died.

Mother had made child and/or some other person or authority aware the child has a father.

The child has found its way into the care of the father.

The father was unaware of childs existence until now.

The father is wanting to put said child into Foster care while he sorts his life out as he recognises that he cannot look after her properly yet. Approximately for a year.

Father may or may not have a chequered past with the law or have a criminal record.

The arrival of his daughter has awoken him into wanting out of his current lifestyle.

Questions

Is it common to have the child present in the home if social workers went to visit to discuss the situation etc, ie in ear shot?

How can he get his daughter back after said time?

Would he have a right to custody?

What are his Parental rights?

Can he get her back when he wants?

What would he need to do to prove he's ready?

Who has the final say, the courts or the social workers?

Do the courts make their decisions based on what the social workers say?

Thank you so much for your time.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Researching for a script I am writing.

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:26 pm

Dear MNHLK

Thank you for your questions, my name is Suzie, one the advisers. I shall answer them by signposting you to the relevant areas of our website.

In the scenario you describe, here is one possible outcome.

It is likely that the father of the child on ‘hearing that he has a child’ would or may have a DNA test and then or may apply for a court order to acquire parental responsibility of his child.

If he then found himself unable to cope with the care of the child and approached his local authority to ask for s20 Accommodation it may be likely that the local authority may first advise an assessment (the child may be present but it is unlikely that a full discussion about their removal from their parent would be ‘openly discussed’). An FGC (family group meeting/conference) may be offered or discussed too.

For your information the types of court cases that may relate to your scenario are Child Arrangements Order and Care Proceedings (this less likely with what you described).

For further discussion about your script you may want to contact our office email address.

Best wishes

Suzie

MNHLK

Re: Researching for a script I am writing.

Post by MNHLK » Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:18 pm

Hi Suzie,
Thank you so much for your time and the information you shared. Really appreciate it. I'll be sure to use the email address provided in future.

Thanks