Psychological assessment

Queen bee

Psychological assessment

Post by Queen bee » Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:01 pm

Hi, I’ve been in a mother and baby unit since July, had loads of assessments with my partner and literally everything has been very positive. We’ve now to have a psychological assessment on the 23rd November, does anyone know what this entails please and whether they can use this sort of assessment to say whether we’re able to keep our baby or not? Bare in mind my baby’s is now 7 months and has been with me since birth. Thank you.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Psychological assessment

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:26 pm

Dear Queenbee

Thank you for your post. It is good to hear that your baby remains in your care and that there continue to be lots of positives. Well done for maintaining this.

I know that you are due to have a psychological assessment next week – is that a joint one?

A psychological assessment will inform decisions about your baby as do other assessments – it will add to the information already gathered. It is not the only relevant assessment or factor. It could flag up any support you might need to help you/your partner as individuals and parents; it could also highlight any concerns or recommendations for changes needed and within what timescales. As your posts indicate that you have been working very well with professionals involved with your family I think you will be able to engage well with this further assessment.

Your solicitor should be able to talk you through what to expect and to relate this to your specific circumstances. They can let you know what the psychologist’s instructions are, consider the recommendations made when the assessment is completed and any response needed, as part of the PLO process.

Was the link we sent to guidance for clinical psychologists on conducting psychological assessments virtually during the pandemic helpful at all? I hope it was useful.

Other parents on this forum who have experience of psychological assessments in circumstances such as yours may want to offer you some advice or support.

In the meantime, keep up all the good work you have been doing which has been reflected in positive assessments to date and try not to worry. I hope that the assessment goes well.

If you would like to talk through your situation with an adviser please ring the freephone advice helpline on 0808 8010366 which is open Mon to Fri from 9.30 am to 3.00 pm or post an update.

With best wishes.

Suzie

Queen bee

Post by Queen bee » Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:49 pm

Hi thanks for your reply, the psychological assessments are both individual ones for me and my partner, my solicitor has said it is to see whether I require any help in any areas and that children’s services can’t take it to court without offering us help or support first. Everything is still very positive,I did a graded care profile with my SW and I got scored 1 on everything which is amazing, my partner has done one with the family support worker and has scored 2s and 3s which we expected anyway so he knows he needs some form of help/support. They could be looking at residential for us as a family so they be an assess how we are as a unit which is good, my solicitors also told me I shouldn’t be in placement for much longer and that I can expect my baby to come off plo on the next meeting after the psychological assessment report has gone in.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:39 pm

Dear Queenbee

Thank you for your further post. It sounds as if your solicitor, who knows your situation well, is optimistic about the forthcoming psychological assessment and the current PLO process.

I hope that everything does go well. Please do post again if you have a further query or if you have an update you would like to share with other parents.

With best wishes

Suzie

Queen bee

Post by Queen bee » Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:57 pm

Hi, I had my psychological assessment and the psychologist stated there’s no obvious mental health or psychological issues with myself but she won’t know fully till she’s pulled together all my information, we’ve just had a meeting with the social worker and they’re bringing baby’s dad into residential so they can see what we’re like when living together, this is a huge step for us all but it’s part of the plo plan. Does it seem like our baby will come off plo in due time?

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:26 pm

Hi Queen Bee,

Welcome back and thank you for posting again with your update.

The psychological assessment seems positive although you need to wait for her report as it sounds like she needs to read through all your information. The next step is testing how you and dad work together to look after your son and how our relationship functions. This is a big step forward and I hope it goes well for you.

Your question is about when your baby will come off the PLO. Your solicitor is the best person to ask this question.

If you have any questions, please post again.

Kind regards,
Suzie

Queen bee

Post by Queen bee » Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:44 pm

Hi thank you for your reply. We’ve since had a PLO review and I’ve spoken with my solicitor, she said she’s unsure about when baby will be removed from PLO as the LA have to proceed with caution which is fair enough given my partners past, my partner had his PLO review today and the LA solicitor said we are going to get a happy ending providing we carry on what we are doing, she said it’s very rare happy endings happen but for us it will which amazing to hear! We are hoping dad is in residential before Christmas then our baby will have both of us for his first Christmas. Thank you for all your help and advice, I will update once we have more news.

Anji

Post by Anji » Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:51 pm

Hi,

I have my son taken away from me in October. I have my asessments that I will need to do. One of them is Physological assessment, I am very nervous about this as they are going to test me on Autism, personality disorder and everything else. I don't think I have these traits. What questions will be asked and how do I answer them. Sorry haven't attended these assessments before so don't know how to approach them. Any help, guidance, tips would be highly appreciated. Many thanks.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:44 pm

Queen bee wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:44 pm Hi thank you for your reply. We’ve since had a PLO review and I’ve spoken with my solicitor, she said she’s unsure about when baby will be removed from PLO as the LA have to proceed with caution which is fair enough given my partners past, my partner had his PLO review today and the LA solicitor said we are going to get a happy ending providing we carry on what we are doing, she said it’s very rare happy endings happen but for us it will which amazing to hear! We are hoping dad is in residential before Christmas then our baby will have both of us for his first Christmas. Thank you for all your help and advice, I will update once we have more news.
Dear Queen bee

Thank you for posting again and sharing your good news. I do hope your baby will have you both for his first Christmas. Well done and keep working hard, it is the best way for you and your family to have the outcome you want.

Best wishes

Suzie