26 week timescale gone over HELP

hlp1103

26 week timescale gone over HELP

Post by hlp1103 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:30 pm

Ok so a little brief, my (at the time) 5 week old baby was admitted to hospital for suspected broken leg as I had taken him to the gp because he wasn’t moving it, he had no bruising or swelling or any marks just simply wasn’t moving the leg but would let me touch it for changes. We found out yes it was a brake and his dad told 2 lies over 2.5 months about how it happened. It came to light the lies he told about accidents were false and he had in fact caused the injury knowingly. This then effected our time tabling because this came to light in the middle of the 26 weeks and I subsequently broke up with him and kicked him out so they had to start assessments again for me to be assessed on my own to care for both my children. We’re now looking at the irh being 8 months since the start of proceedings and the final trial 9 months.

Has anyone had any experience with this?

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: 26 week timescale gone over HELP

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:05 pm

Dear hlp1103

Thank you for your post.

I am sorry to hear about the injury to your child and that because the father did not say how the child was harmed it has prolonged the court case. Court cases can sometimes take longer than six months, in your situation I imagine the case is being extended to allow you to have a fair hearing now that your child’s father has made his admission. It may be the case that the issues resolution hearing (IRH) might be used as the final hearing. Our advice sheet Care (and related) proceedings may be helpful to you.

You said that you are now being assessed on your own. You may have now been removed from the pool of perpetrators, if so perhaps you could ask the local authority about returning your children to your care (please bear in mind the situation we have with the coronavirus). We have written a guide for parents and how they might manage contact during this outbreak, it can be found here.

It might be useful for you to contact your solicitor too and ask them about court hearings and how yours might be conducted at this time: a remote hearing may be what you have to expect. The Government has some useful information about court hearings on their site, here is the link.

I hope this information is useful.

Best wishes

Suzie