Need any advice please

Post Reply
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:44 pm

Need any advice please

Post by 3kids2019 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:05 pm

I’m in the last bit of court producing for my 2 children I am now pregnant with my 3rd and I don’t know what social Services will do about my unborn, social Services had a problem with my house at the time as it was to small for 3 young children I have recently moved to a bigger house with a bigger garden any advice will be helpful please

User avatar
Suzie, FRG Adviser
Posts: 2939
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:57 pm

Re: Need any advice please

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:21 pm

Dear 3kids2019

Welcome to the parents’ discussion board and thank you for posting.

You say you are in court proceedings at the moment and these are in the last stages. It is not clear from your post whether the plan for your 2 children is likely to be that they cannot remain in your care. Have you had a negative parenting assessment? As you have now been able to find alternative accommodation is this not being taken into account. If your accommodation was the only reason that children’s services were concerned about the children in your care then, it seems you have addressed this concern.

It is difficult to advise you without knowing the concerns that children’s services have regarding your care of your older children. Children’s services could have considered helping you to get larger accommodation for the children to remain with you.

Having said this, as you are pregnant at the moment, children’s services may have the same concerns about your unborn baby. So, whatever their concerns are, it is important that you do your best to address these concerns. Children’s services would have the same concerns about your unborn baby as for the 2 other children. However, if your circumstances significantly changed, children’s services will look at the changes you have made and whether they can be sustained.

Below is the information in our frequently asked questions:

“I am pregnant and have had previous children removed by Children's Services. What can I do to stop them taking this one?
In this situation, it is very common to be worried that your new baby could be removed (even if your circumstances have changed) and to avoid contact with professionals until some way into the pregnancy. But this is not a good idea - in fact it is likely to make things much worse for you.
The best thing to do is to:
stay in regular touch with health professionals to make sure you get the ante-natal care that you and your baby need;
• work with the social worker to make a safe plan for your child for when they are born. This may include:
• you understanding and overcoming the problems which led to your previous children being removed and what support you need with your new baby;
o the social worker saying what support you will be given when the baby is born to help you care for them, ,
o considering whether there is anyone else in the baby's family who is suitable to look after your baby if you cannot.
The social worker will visit you and they will assess whether they think you can look after your baby. In some case if they are worried your baby may be at risk, they might arrange a child protection conference with other professionals can discuss this further. For more information see: advice sheet 9: Child protection procedures
• see a solicitor straight away. They can advise you and help you discuss plans with the social worker, even before your baby is born; and
• discuss with your (and the baby's father's) wider family if there is anyone who could care for your baby safely after the birth if you are not allowed to. If there is, ask those family members to contact the social worker and ask to be assessed as soon as possible.

Children's services are already involved because of the care proceedings and you do not say how far into your pregnancy you are but the concerns will be looked at and you should be assessed.

You may find it helpful to read our advice sheet Care (and related) proceedings.

The information you have provided is limited and you may wish to speak to an adviser on our free confidential advice line for more advice. The advice line is open from 9.30am to 3pm Monday to Friday.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes


Post Reply