I fear our baby will be taken from me when it is born.

Post Reply
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:44 am

I fear our baby will be taken from me when it is born.

Post by Outcharles » Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:02 pm

Me and my partner have just found out we are having a baby despite being on contraception.

After her last relationship ended she’s was charged and found guilty of neglect (wrongly) for not seeking medical attention for an internal injury she could not see and the child showed no symptoms of, caused by her boyfriend at the time.

The children where then taken away from her and given to the father as full time custodian. She has contact with the children and will be having overnight stays with them soon, the care order is due to be discharged in a couple of months and her risk level has been lowered to a low risk.

We are both terrified that our baby will be taken from us even though her circumstances have changed for the better and I have no criminal record and have a 7 year old of my own.

I would like to know what to expect over the next 9 months and if there’s is anything we can do to ensure our baby doesn’t not get taken away from us.

Posts: 98
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:08 pm

Re: I fear our baby will be taken from me when it is born.

Post by Kami2018 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:57 pm

It's doesn't necessarily mean because your partner has had children removed from her care that you will not be able to raise this baby I know that children's services will roughly become involved when your partner is 5 mths plus pregnant so in the mean time I would make sure she snows great improvement from her last assessment with them as they will come out and do all these assessments again as I say so where after 5 mths im assumimg because shes had children removed it woukd automaticlly be a child protection case but it dosent nessicarailly mean a removal

User avatar
Suzie, FRG Adviser
Posts: 2935
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:57 pm

Re: I fear our baby will be taken from me when it is born.

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:41 am

Dear Outcharles

Welcome to the parents’ discussion board and thank you for your post.

My name is Suzie, online adviser at Family Rights Group.

You are fearful of what might happen regarding the baby you are expecting with your partner because of the history relating to her children who were removed from her care. Your partner was convicted of neglect although you have stated this was wrongly. The fact is she was convicted and if she or her legal team believe it was wrong then there should have been an appeal against her conviction.

If you both intend to work with children’s service (new name for social services) to ensure that you are able to parent your baby then I suggest you do not start from the position that she was wrongly convicted.

It is really good that she has been having such good contact under the care order which is still in place. This suggests that children’s services are aware of the changes that she has made since the care order was made. Will children’s services be applying to discharge the care order or the children’s father?

I understand that you are both very worried about what might happen to your baby and, as such, I think it is important that you both know that having a had a child or children remove does not have to mean that a new baby will be removed. Children’s services would look at your partner as she is now and the changes that she has made to turn her life around. The likelihood is they will carry out an assessment but that would be at about 20 weeks or there about. Please read information in our frequently asked questions about what happens if a child was removed previously. You may also find it helpful to read our advice sheet relating to Child protection procedures which would be the procedure that children's services would use if they have concerns about significant harm.

Children’s services will look at both parents when carrying out an assessment. I suggest that you both speak to the social worker who is currently working with her children if you live in the same local authority area. If not, speak to your local children’s services about the situation and they can explain what action they would take. However, you both should know that children's services cannot simply remove your baby without your agreement or going to court for an order to do so and even then they have to provide evidence that it is best for the child.

Although it might be worrying at the moment, try to focus on the positives and the fact that your partner has made changes to her parenting to the extent that she is moving towards overnight staying contact.

Should you wish to speak to an adviser, please telephone our free confidential advice line on 0808 801 0366. The advice line is open Monday to Friday from 9.30am to 3pm.

I hope you find this helpful.

Best wishes


Post Reply