My partner has been told he can't have any contact with my children on release from prison

Ra1012

My partner has been told he can't have any contact with my children on release from prison

Post by Ra1012 » Sat May 22, 2021 8:59 am

Hi I have been with my partner for 2 years and living with him for just under a year.
He is currently in prison for a crime that happened before I met him due to covid ect it took a while for the process to get get to court.
Since he has been in prison they have stopped all contact with my children who absolutely adore him.
Social services have become involved and have started a risk assessment due him him being released very soon.
He has a previous domestic violence charge from 10 years ago and has alot of violence on his record he dont have the best past but he has changed his life around and we have a secure stable family home there's no violence or anything like that but I'm concerned that ss are going to say we can't be together we have a wedding booked for next year.
Any advice please or has anybody been in this situation and what was the outcome?

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: My partner has been told he can't have any contact with my children on release from prison

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:17 pm

Dear Ra1012,

You say in your post that you have been with your partner for 2 years, and had lived with him for under a year. He is currently serving a custodial sentence for a crime committed before you had met him. All contact has now been stopped with your children and children’s services are now involved and conducting a risk assessment due to his imminent release. Your partner has a previous charge for domestic violence and a violent criminal history. You say that your partner has made some positive changes in his life and that you had a stable home. You are due to get married and are concerned that children’s services are going to say you cannot be together.

Firstly, you do not say in your post what crime your partner has most recently committed. Nevertheless, children’s services are likely to be concerned about his criminal history, particularly if this includes a lot of violence. You mention that a social worker is completing a risk assessment – I assume that this is part of a children and families assessment?

It is difficult for me to tell you what the outcome of children’s services involvement may be. Whilst children’s services do not have the power to stop you from seeing another adult, they do have a duty to safeguard your children. If the outcome of the assessment indicates that your partner poses a risk to your children and that your relationship is not in their best interests, they will expect you to respond accordingly and in a protective capacity. This may mean ending the relationship. If the social worker believes that your children continue to exposed to risk, they may initiate child protection enquiries, which may result in your children being placed on a child protection plan. You can read more about this here. In extreme circumstances, children’s services may apply to the family court in order to initiate care proceedings, which could result in your children being removed from your care.

I would advise that you now work openly and honestly with the allocated social worker in order to fully acknowledge their concerns and to work collaboratively towards the safest solution for your children. It may be possible for any risks identified to be addressed with a safety plan. Take a look here for some useful tips on getting the best out of working with your social worker:

I hope you have found this helpful.

Best wishes,
Suzie.