HELP- Social services mystery!

LG384

HELP- Social services mystery!

Post by LG384 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:16 pm

Apologies for the long post but it seems quite a confusing situation.

I am urgently seeking advice on a situation I find myself in.

In brief, me and my partner live together and have 50/50 custody of our children from previous marriages. Both sets of children reside at our house during the same days each week.

I am currently (although not had anything in writing) being assessed due to an incident that occurred on the 19th September, when my partner’s ex husband turned up at our house unannounced and quite clearly intoxicated stating he had concerns for his daughters welfare. I told him to leave which he didn’t, we argued and he left.

We have had the police come over to interview Mrs A and myself both separately (20th September) and heard nothing more after that meeting.

This is where the maliciousness of the accusation becomes quite clear. My partner was made aware that a referral was made to Child Services on the 1st October, The day after my partners ex husband found about our engagement and also the first day of a new job for my partner. Ultimately, after having to make frantic phone calls during work, after being told that she would not be allowed to see her children that afternoon, her contract at her new job was terminated on the basis she had things she needed to deal with.

I must stress that whilst the Child Services assessment took place and now Social Services Assessment is taking place, I have not been contacted or informed that this is happening and also what allegations are being made against me. We have a letter from Child Services dated 14th October saying that all police and child services assessments have taken place and the outcome was that they see no threat towards the children.

After telling social services about the letter they said it was sent out in error!

Since my partner has been speaking to social services, they have interviewed both of my partners daughters at their school and again, today my partner spoke to social services and both interviews showed no threat or concerns from my partners daughters. We have been told that this assessment could take anything from between 20-45 days to complete.

I also find it unbelievable that, bearing in mind the accusation is serious enough that "the girls mustn't have any contact with me during the investigation" I have been looking after my 2 8 year old boys 50% of the time and I also coach their football team with over 30 kids.

Im trying to get a better understanding about what my rights are? Not only have I been accused of something, even though no one has confirmed what that is, but more upsetting, I have been told by social services that I can’t see my partners daughters whilst this assessment it ongoing.

I have seemed legal advice but they say until I have an idea of what the accusation is and when I might be interviewed there isn't a lot of advice to give yet!

I am absolutely distraught, and feel completely victimised and been left in the dark about all of this. Im desperate for advice as to what I can do?

Any help really appreciated.

Wolfzone

Re: HELP- Social services mystery!

Post by Wolfzone » Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:40 pm

The social workers, the county council do not have any authority to stop you from seeing your children, only the court has the power and authority to stop/terminate contact, and such an order can only be made where real evidence is put before the court establishing that your children will be put at risk and in danger of serious harm being caused to them by you/the parent(s).

The art.8 ECHR right to family life includes a right for the parents to have measures taken that will permit them to be reunited, and there is an obligation on national authorities, which include the members of the honourable Queen’s Bench Division of the High Court, to take such action (Re O (A Child) (Contact: Withdrawal of Application) [2003] EWHC 3031 (Fam), [2004] 1 FLR 1258).

There is a positive obligation on the State to take measures to maintain and reconstitute the relationship between parents and their children, and to reunite children with their parents (Re C (A Child) (Suspension of Contact) [2011] EWCA Civ 521, [2011] 2 FLR 912).

Contact with their parents is the absolute right of a child (M v M (Child:Access) [1973] 2 All ER 81, and W (Children) [2012] EWCA Civ 999). In addition to that principle art.7 & 9 of the UN Convention on the Rights of a Child provides that a child has a right to know and be cared for by his/her parents, and that a child shall not be separated from his/her parents against their will, except in accordance with applicable law and procedures and that such separation is necessary.

Where are your children?

Kind regards

Wolfzone

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Thu Nov 05, 2020 3:33 pm

Dear LG384,

Welcome to the Parent’s Forum. My name is Suzie, FRG’s online adviser.

I can see that there was an incident on the 19th September, at your home, when your partners exe turned up stating he had concerns about his daughters. The police investigated and both you and your partner were interviewed, and you have not heard anything further form the police.
Because of the incident, (You say your partners exe was drunk and there was an argument), the police most likely would have made a referral to children’s services.

Another referral was received on the 1st October and your partner’s daughters have been interviewed. However, children services have told your partner that they are happy that you pose no threat to the girls. While the assessment is ongoing, you have been told you are not allowed any contact with the girls and you have not been told what the concerns are.
If there have been serious allegations (such as physical abuse), it is normal that during the investigation, the person who might have caused the harm is told not to have contact with the children until the investigation is completed. This is to allow the children to speak freely without being worried about threats or being silenced.
In your case, it seems that children services, having interviewed the girls, are satisfied that you are not a risk to them. But they need to finish their assessment -do checks with the schools and GP and speak to the police. The assessment is usually completed in 9 weeks from the date of the referral. Assessments are also holistic-they look at everything about the family not just the allegation. That is why they can take 9 weeks.
Here is information about assessments.

Your partner could ask the social worker when she thinks you can see the girls again.
Your second concern is that you do not know what the allegation is. Children services do not have to tell you this as you are not the parent of the girls.
If you were interviewed by the police about this concern, then you would be told as you have a right to defend yourself against a criminal allegation.
I hope my answer helps. If you have any questions or need further advice, please do not hesitate to post again or call our advice line on 0808 801 0366.
Best wishes,
Suzie

ConsUK

Post by ConsUK » Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:55 pm

Wolfzone wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:40 pm The social workers, the county council do not have any authority to stop you from seeing your children, only the court has the power and authority to stop/terminate contact, and such an order can only be made where real evidence is put before the court establishing that your children will be put at risk and in danger of serious harm being caused to them by you/the parent(s).

The art.8 ECHR right to family life includes a right for the parents to have measures taken that will permit them to be reunited, and there is an obligation on national authorities, which include the members of the honourable Queen’s Bench Division of the High Court, to take such action (Re O (A Child) (Contact: Withdrawal of Application) [2003] EWHC 3031 (Fam), [2004] 1 FLR 1258).

There is a positive obligation on the State to take measures to maintain and reconstitute the relationship between parents and their children, and to reunite children with their parents (Re C (A Child) (Suspension of Contact) [2011] EWCA Civ 521, [2011] 2 FLR 912).

Contact with their parents is the absolute right of a child (M v M (Child:Access) [1973] 2 All ER 81, and W (Children) [2012] EWCA Civ 999). In addition to that principle art.7 & 9 of the UN Convention on the Rights of a Child provides that a child has a right to know and be cared for by his/her parents, and that a child shall not be separated from his/her parents against their will, except in accordance with applicable law and procedures and that such separation is necessary.

Where are your children?

Kind regards

Wolfzone
Hi, can you tell me please where I'm standing up in the situation where I have received a sentence and shpo because of possession/making ( making by download) indecent images of children, I have been forced to leave my home and my wife she is divorcing on me (forced by ss) because of potential risk/harm.
Thank you.