Re: Worried confused and still in love..social services

Redcoat26

Post by Redcoat26 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:21 pm

I am the person who was reported to be dv
Our date ends in septemeber if my partner gets the kids back and i complete all the courses i.e. DVPC anger management and therapy would we eventually be able to re unite as a family later on down the line?

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:19 pm

Dear Redcoat26

Welcome to the Family Rights Group (FRG) parents’ discussion board and thank you for your post. I am sorry that there has been a delay in responding to you. I will respond to all 3 of your posts here. I am sorry to hear that you and your family are experiencing difficulties.

I think that children’s services are involved because of allegations that you were violent to your partner and that there were similar allegations in the past. Have the children been taken into foster care as a result of this? I am not sure if the date you mention refers to the completion of an assessment, a criminal court date or the final hearing in the family court so it is hard to provide any detailed or specific advice.

It is certainly always a positive if a person who has behaved violently towards their partner and children takes steps to address their behaviour especially if they engage with tailored domestic violence perpetrator programmes. So if you do this and get help with other support needs such as therapy, how to deal with anger issues etc. that is definitely a forward step. But unfortunately, I cannot say if that is enough to address the concerns as some of this may also depend on your partner and also on what process you are going through at the moment and what the outcome is. For example, if you are in care proceedings and a court order such as a care order is made for your children to live in foster care, with a family member or even to live with their mother but under a care or supervision order.

Perhaps you could post back and say what the date in September refers to and what plans or processes are happening at the moment. Or you can ring our freephone advice helpline to speak to an adviser if you prefer – the number is 0808 8010366 and the lines are open from 9.30 am to 3.00 pm, Mon to Fri.

In the meantime, you may find these FAQs for fathers on domestic violence to be useful. Do keep up any programmes you are taking part in, work with professionals and ask the children’s social worker or your solicitor if you have one what else they would recommend that you should do to reduce any risks to the children.

I hope this helps.

With best wishes

Suzie