New relationship historic DV

Babyafe

New relationship historic DV

Post by Babyafe » Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:53 am

I am looking for some advise please. My new partner is currently in prison for a DV offence. I have had no previous experience with social workers. I am guessing to be in a relationship with him there will be some involvement? What does this involvement look like and are people such as the father of my children involved and schools?

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: New relationship historic DV

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:58 am

Dear Babyafe,

Welcome to the Parents Forum. I am Suzie FRG’s online adviser.

I can see that you are a mum and your new partner is in prison for a DV offence.
Your questions are:
• Will children services become involved with your children and if so, what will this look like?
• Are any professionals such as the school involved?
• Will the children’s father be involved as well?

In answer to your first question, yes, the prison should make a referral to children services. This is because domestic violence poses a serious risk to children. Your children may be at risk of suffering “significant harm” if they witnessed you being hurt by your partner. Please see
Women’s aid -the impact of DV on children-scroll down.

When a referral is received, a social worker will carry out an assessment and decide what support you might need. The assessment involves contacting professionals involved with your children such as the school, GP and health visitor. Your children’s father is usually also contacted unless it would be risky to the children. The social worker would speak to you and will also want to see or speak to your children alone. Due to the corona virus this may all be online via zoom or whatsapp.
An assessment is “holistic”-which means the social worker will look at the whole situation, not just your partner’s risk and whether you can protect your children from him. For example, the social worker will want to see your home to check if it safe for the children and asks professionals about whether they have had any past concerns.
The social worker is likely to use a DV risk assessment tool such as the Barnardo’s DV tool.
At the end of the assessment, it should say whether the social worker will remain involved (under a child in need plan or via child protection ) or whether support will be via Early Help. Support might be that you are referred to the local DV resource or Women’s Aid and an advocate to support you.
There will be a further assessment before your partner leaves prison. His risk to your children may go up as he is released back into the community.

For more information about the domestic violence support please look at our leaflet and FAQ’s.

In answer to your last 2 questions, yes, as you can see above other professionals such as the school will be contacted. Yes, father should also be contacted during the assessment unless to doing this would pose more risk to your children.

I can see what a difficult dilemma you have but I would urge you to call the 24 hour DV helpline 0808 2000 247 for advice and support. You can remain anonymous.
If you need further advice please post again or call our confidential and free helpline on 0808 801 0366.

Best wishes,
Suzie