Residency order

As11

Residency order

Post by As11 » Mon Aug 09, 2021 1:38 pm

Does anyone know what a residency order means for a parent take an other parent to court? I want to know really if anyone has been through one and if they can advise me what to expect I’m wanting to take the other parent to court because it’s the only way I will see my son.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Residency order

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:34 am

Dear As11

Welcome to the parents’ discussion board and thank you for your posts. My name is Suzie and I am FRG’s online adviser. I am sorry to hear about all the difficulties you have had in the past . I am also sorry that you are continuing to have problems and are concerned about your son. He is now living with his father in a different area and his father is not allowing you to have contact with him.

You have offered encouragement and provided advice and information to other parents on this forum which is helpful, supportive and gives them some suggestions about how to move forward.

In your most recent post, you want to know what a residency order means and you want to go to court to apply for access to your son.
In England and Wales, Residence Orders have been replaced by Child Arrangement Orders (setting out who the child should live with ) and Contact Orders have been replaced by Child Arrangement Orders (setting our who the child should spend time with and when/where this should be). You can find out more about these orders from Child Law Advice. They are private law matters which are outside of our remit.

If your son is now living in Scotland then you may be able to can get advice about family law orders from the Scottish Child Law Centre, a lawyer, or a solicitor. You could contact the Scottish Law Society or may be able to ask the Law Society of England and Wales to signpost you to solicitors who can advise on Scottish family law matters.

If you have serious concerns for your son’s welfare you can contact the local children’s services department where he lives to let them know what you are worried about.

It is good to hear that you have care of your daughter and are working with social workers under a supervision order – this should only be for a year or two in some cases and does not give children’s services any parental responsibility for your daughter . If you have any queries about current social work involvement in England or Wales please do post again or call our freephone advice line on 0808 8010366. The lines are open Mon to Fri (except bank holidays) and from 9.30 am to 3.00 pm.

Best wishes

Suzie