Will ss remove my unborn child

RT461

Will ss remove my unborn child

Post by RT461 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:59 pm

Hi all new to this group and looking for advice not judgement please.

6 years ago my two boys were removed from my care 2 and 3 years old and placed in my mothers care due to child neglect, alcoholism and DVwith children father my mum was granted and SGO, fast forward 3 years I went into a non medicated, only group work rehab for 3 months and came out alcohol free, during the court proceeding for m children I was having supervised contact but when the court case finished contact was arranged through my mother who is like my best friends and could have trusted no one more with my children, after leaving rehab started building bridges with my children it’s taken a long time to get where I am today with them for them to learn to trust me again currently there are 8 and 9, before going into rehab I met a fantastic man who has stayed with me for the last 5 year through it all, ( children father my x husband disappeared 4-5 years ago and does not have contact with children, he’s choice, now a year and a half ago after being sober my mum allowed an overnight visit it went fantastically now for the last year children have been staying with me 3 nights a week have their own room etc, things are great and children adore my partner youngest calls him dad he’s choice, when Covid hit children stayed with me permanently for 2-3 months due to my mums servere asthma’s, but also I took on the care of my niece who is currently also in my mothers care under an sgo, now her social worker new of the situation me caring for her and no area for concern, my children have not had social services involved for last 4-5 years case was closed after sgo granted, now currently my children are staying with me 3-4 nights a week me my partner dropping to school picking up etc all in agreement with my mum who has no concerns at all, so 2 weeks ago I found out I’m pregnant and were excited but now we scared if social services will remove my baby once born due to my past history, sorry for long post but wanted to be clear, thanks in advance

Horjio

Re: Will ss remove my unborn child

Post by Horjio » Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:41 pm

I don't think that is going to be the case. Past is the past. Plus you were taking care of children for several months and there were no issues. My friend had a similar story but she is out of the country now at a friend's house in Larnaca, I will text her and see if she has any advice on this topic. I will PM you later when I have response.

RT461

Post by RT461 » Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:31 pm

Thank you

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:36 pm

Dear RT461,

Welcome to the Parents Forum. I am Suzie, FRG’s online adviser. I am sorry for the delay in responding to your post.
Congratulations on your pregnancy.

I can see how things have changed so much since the original care proceedings.
You are no longer using alcohol, having successfully completed a rehab programme and you are no longer in an abusive relationship. You have taken on most of the care of your boys and you cared full time for them and their cousin during lockdown-a very difficult time for many people. The social worker for your nephew was aware of this arrangement and seemed happy with it.

Due to your pregnancy, the midwife or GP will make a referral to children services on the basis of children services past involvement. An assessment is likely to take place. This is to see whether you need any support and also whether there should be further children services intervention.
On the information you give, it seems likely that they will close your case, with no further action or there might be some low-level involvement at a family support level. There is nothing in your post to indicate that your unborn baby (or your children) might be at risk of significant harm.

It is important that the father of your unborn baby should engage with the assessment as well, so they get a picture of the support around you.
Here is information about assessments and FAQ’s .
I hope my post helps. If you have questions, please post again or call our advice line on 0808 801 0366.

Best wishes,
Suzie

Horjio

Post by Horjio » Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:34 pm

Horjio wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:41 pm I don't think that is going to be the case. Past is the past. Plus you were taking care of children for several months and there were no issues. My friend had a similar story but she is out of the country now at a friend's house in Larnaca here, I will text her and see if she has any advice on this topic. I will PM you later when I have response.
I am still waiting for some info from a friend, I didn't forget. Don't worry