having my baby in another country

Post Reply
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:02 pm

having my baby in another country

Post by Huliana » Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:08 pm

I am a Spanish national who has lived in this country for 6yrs. I have married my husband and become pregnant. Due to my husbands past social services have begun a child protection plan on my unborn baby. I want to return home to have my baby in Spain where my family are! however I am afraid that social services are able to prevent me from leaving this country to have my baby even thow I have never committed any crime, I have no mental health issues, Ive never used drugs or been dependent of any substance. In fact the only crime it seems I have committed is marrying my husband. Can anyone tell me if social services have the power to keep a foreign national in this country forcing me to have my baby here???

User avatar
Suzie, FRG Adviser
Posts: 3054
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:57 pm

Re: having my baby in another country

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:25 pm

Dear Huliana,

Welcome to the Parent’s Forum.

No- children services cannot stop you moving to Spain to have your baby. The court can only become involved once your baby is born.

While there is a child protection plan , it is expected that you notify children services if you are moving out of the local authority area. Usually, children services would notify the authorities in the area you are moving to who would hold a conference to decide whether or not a further child protection plan is needed.

I would expect children services to let the authorities in Spain know about the child protection plan and detail the potential risks to your baby. Those risks are posed by your husband, so I assume the authorities in Spain will want to be sure you have the support to protect your baby from your husband.
But I am not sure how the child protection process works in Spain.

CFAB children and families across borders may be able to help you further.

I hope this helps. If you have any questions, please post again or call our advice line on 0808 801 0366.

Best wishes,

Post Reply