Social workers

Lel002

Social workers

Post by Lel002 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:52 pm

Hello, I had an assessment from a social worker and they asked if they could speak to my parents, I said no I don't want them being bothered as they have so much going on and are fragile. They can't speak to them without my consent is that right? As well as I'm a grown adult.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Social workers

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:55 pm

Dear Lel002

Thank you for your post.

Social workers should not contact your parents if you have said that you do not want them involved with your current situation, additionally if you have not given them your parent’s details they should not be able to access them. If you are worried it may be a good idea to email the social worker and confirm that they will not contact your family members.

It is not uncommon for social workers, during an assessment, to ask about a person’s wider family or support network, sometimes family and friends can be called upon to help or support a parent with the care of their child.

This document Working Together to Safeguard Children 2018 may be useful to you. Assessments are outlined from page 24.

Best wishes

Suzie