Father convicted of rape, does he have any rights to a family life?

Poppypepper

Father convicted of rape, does he have any rights to a family life?

Post by Poppypepper » Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:41 pm

My partner is serving a sentence for rape since 2013. (Not me) We had a great relationship with no problems, no domestic violence, nothing. Our daughter was born around the time he got sentenced. Social services have never allowed us to have any visitation with our daughter, she is now 7 and wonders where her daddy is and is desperate for a daddy in her life.
Due to to pressures of ss, we stopped our own contact, as ss were questioning my parenting/ability to to keep my daughter safe. Its ridiculous. I would die for her!
So my partner and I have had no contact for 5 and a half years as a result. It was heartbreaking.
But he's due for release and has applied for a court order to see his daughter which I support. We are now in contact by phone, and hoping for a good out come. We are willing to work with authorities moving forward..but I'm stressing out so much.
I had my first ever panic attack last week as a result of the stress.

Any advice is greatly appreciated
Thank you. X

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Father convicted of rape, does he have any rights to a family life?

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:56 pm

Dear Poppypepper

Thank you for your post and welcome to the Board.

Thank you for sharing your situation with us, from what you have written I understand why you are ‘stressed’ and had a recent panic attack – you may find help in managing these ‘stressors’ from Mind. (I have highlighted the words with direct links for your convenience).

I do not wish to cause you any further stress and as you have said that you are “willing to work with the authorities” may I say that children’s services will likely continue to consider your partner a risk to your child and may consider initiating child protection enquiries. As a part of the process, you could ask for a risk assessment to be completed when your partner is released.

You ask whether your partner will be ‘entitled to family life’. In relation to contact with his child the Child Arrangements Order he is applying for may grant him the contact he is requesting.

It is likely that your partner will be in receipt of advice and support from any probation services applied to him – he can seek advice from that service too.

For your information, multi-agency public protection arrangements (MAPPA) will be involved.

A charity that you (and your partner) may be interested in for help or advice is called Unlock, you can find them here.

Best wishes

Suzie

Poppypepper

Re: Father convicted of rape, does he have any rights to a family life?

Post by Poppypepper » Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:05 pm

Thank you for your reply. We have a court date in 2 weeks, so we shall see what happens then. I will post an update when it's decided.

Say a little prayer that our little girl can have a solid family unit that she deserves 🙏💞