Child protection plan for birth children/fostering

LEF88

Child protection plan for birth children/fostering

Post by LEF88 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:50 pm

I am wondering if anyone can offer advice in our very complex situation. Long story as short as possible I have 3 children 2birth 1 Fostered (niece for 8 years). 1birth and Foster child have autism both with own challenging behaviour. We accessed support for both and also got young carers involved for other birth child. We have years of working with professionals and being complimented on our skills etc. We had a complex family team assessment done due to Foster child saying she was unhappy. All concluded in July that due to autism, not being birth child, her age and wanting to be with birth mum etc and not anything we were doing. Since then an allegation has been made regarding birth child that was dealt with by both myself and parent of other child and believed to be a misunderstanding at the time. More information has come to light and there is police involvement. Birth child is not residing in the home yet Foster child was removed and the local authority is now saying I have lied. I can prove this is not true yet somehow they have concluded I have lied and that there have been significant concerns within the placement for nearly a year. The report that was carried out in July has disappeared yet I have evidence it exsist. We have now had birth children put on cpp because they are suffering as a result of being separated and chair said she needs to pull strings at top to make sure my family are supported in a timely manner. I doubt their honesty with what the other local authority have done but am working with them regardless of whether I agree or not and I'm hoping when I receive the write up from conference it mimics what was said. If it concludes after investigation on birth child that allegation is true I would always do what is necessary and in the best interests of all children even if that meant they stay away from the home on long term basis. Does anyone know if there is anything I can do. Information has been written that is a deformation of my character which I know is libel and causing doubt for others. I can get many references from people within all aspects of my life to show I am a well respected community member and family member that people have looked to for support. This has massively affected my family and I really can not sit back and do nothing about the lies. I will do what ever is needed, as many professionals that need to can access any part of our lives including the many interactions with professionals over the years I really don't mind and understand why investigations are needed. I have been the biggest advocate of services over the years telling families to access support as and when needed and not to worry the are there to help. Now I understand why people worry 😢

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Child protection plan for birth children/fostering

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:42 pm

Dear lef88,

Welcome to the Parent’s Forum. I am Suzie Family Rights Group online adviser.
It sounds like you have years of experience of working with children services and there have never been any issues raised about the care you offer to your birth children and your niece who you have fostered. An intensive assessment had been completed after your niece had said she was unhappy. This report confirmed that her unhappiness was not due to the care you give to her.

However, that there was an allegation against your birth son (you do not say what the allegation was). You and the parent of the other child involved dealt with it without referring for help from children services or the police at the time. More information of a similar nature as arisen, and the police are now involved.
You are now seen as not protecting your niece (and covering up for your son) because you did not mention the original allegation. Is that right? With the benefit of hindsight that seemed to be the wrong approach but at the time you thought it seemed reasonable. If that is the case, you need to be honest about why you took that position. It could be that you just did not believe the allegation.
before this happened, you have years of good working with children services and children thriving in your care. so it is worth reminding yourself of that.
Your niece has been removed from you which suggests that children services cannot trust you to protect her because you back your son. Your birth children are now on a CP plan.
What category? The conference must have decided that they "suspect" your children have suffered significant harm or are at risk. Is your son the one who could be risky? What does the plan say you need to do to reduce the risk to your children?
Here are child protection FAQ's.

Your question is about the information that is being shared and how it is wrong about you. It sounds like you have had an opportunity to share your views at the case conference, so you are right to check the minutes reflect what you said. If they do not, then you can ask that they are corrected.
You could make a list of the incorrect factual information and then give the correct facts (with proof, if you have it, such as the assessment). Ask that this is put on children services file.
Here are some tips on how to communicate with children services .

It is worth keeping a diary of everything that is happening so that you can refer to it at a later date.

You say that you are waiting for the outcome of the police investigation into your birth child before you decide what you will do. However, in case the allegation is true, and he is in fact risky, you need to act now to protect your younger children. That is the most protective and it is what children services will want.

I hope this advice helps. If you need more advice, please post again and call our advice line on 0808 801 0366.
Kind regards,
Suzie.