Mistaken identity

JL123

Mistaken identity

Post by JL123 » Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:34 pm

Hello
This is very specific so not sure if this is the right place for help, but not sure where to even start
A couple of weeks ago I received a call from the SS stating that my boyfriend (my 2y sons dad) had sexual allergations against him from 2005 which would make him 13. They said it was unusual because the police hadn't been in contact with either of us. We immediately knew this was either mistaken identity or someone could be lying.
I was told I had to agree to supervise my partner with my son and we had a social worker at the house the next day to put in a safety plan where both of us had to answer questions about out son, agree to always supervise and for the social worker to get into contact with the HV and my son's nursery.
In the mean time we were as cooperative as we could be, knowing that this wasn't about my partner we wanted it over with. The SW said he'll be back in 3 weeks for a review, in the mean time we weren't going to just sit around waiting for the police to knock on the door. My partner made a formal complaint to the police, who then investigated the claim. A few days later we were told it was a mistaken identity, the same name as my partner but a similar DOB. As you can imagine the whole situation has been mentally exhausting. We received a phone call from someone from MASH, who wasn't very sympathetic, pretty much told me that there's 1500 cases a week, once this was deleted off my son's file it won't be remembered.
We're not entirely sure what we want now, we definitely haven't had a sincere apology and full explanation. Just not sure who I should speak to about it and whether we can take legal action

Thank you in advance

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Mistaken identity

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:21 pm

Dear JL123

Thank you for your post and welcome to the Board.

From what you have written I understand that children’s services, social workers were investigating your family because of the information passed to them from the police. From what you say they undertook an assessment and asked you to agree to contact and access arrangements between your child and your partner. Working Together to Safeguard Children 2018 from page 26 will tell you more about how children’s service work with families.

May I suggest, that your partner asks for a full explanation from the police, here is some information about how to do this and information from the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) too.

In relation to children’s services, it might be a good idea to ask for any information they hold about your family and for evidence of any files about your family being closed and as you say ‘not being remembered’. Here is some information about accessing records from children’s services, you may find the ICO helpful in this area too.

Best wishes

Suzie