Page 1 of 1

Looking for some advice

Posted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:49 pm
by Squish
Afternoon all, I'm looking for some help. My two children are on a child protection plan due to me getting involved with someone who is on the SO register. I didnt know when we first got together but I decided to give him the chance. Rules put in place and he isn't allowed around my children (he's not their dad). We have both done a number of different courses and I have also done a psychology assessment to see what my capacity to safeguard is. The outcome was that I have the capacity to do so but further work would help. Social workers are now refusing to fund the course an the social worker keeps saying she will have to seek legal advice. My parenting has never been at fault and I havent broke any other the rules that have been put in place. My worry is that they are trying to force the relationship to end through a legal way. They are clearly now refusing to do anymore work with me as by doing so, it means I could supervise contact with my kids and partner, but they are also refusing to work with him as he has no responsibility for the kids either.

Has anyone been through something similar or have and advice that could help me?

Please no negative comments - things are hard enough. Anything would really be appreciated - I'm just stressing so much about it all and really at a lose at the minute of what to do.

Re: Looking for some advice

Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:35 pm
by Suzie, FRG Adviser
Dear Squish,

Welcome to the Parents Forum. I am Suzie, FRG’s online adviser. I am sorry for the delay in responding to your post.

I can see that you are a mum of 2 children who are on child protection plans due to your partner being assessed as a danger to children due to being on the sex offender’s register. I can see that you have cooperated well with the child protection plan and have cooperated with a psychological assessment to assess your ability to protect your children from your partner. The assessment has identified that you do have the capacity to protect your children, but it also says that you would benefit from further work. Children services seem to be interpreting the report as saying that they cannot safely step away from your family and close the child protection plans. You are happy to undertake the further work, but children services are saying they cannot pay for it and the social worker is taking legal advice about the next steps.
You do not say how long your children have been on the Child protection(CP) plans. Child protection plans cannot last indefinitely as a CP plan is an indicator that children are at risk of suffering significant harm or have suffered harm and the risks remain. Does the recommended course take a long time? Ask the social worker to explain why children services are not willing to pay?

You say the social worker is taking legal advice (often called a legal planning meeting). The solicitor will help children services decide on what should be the next steps. For example they may decide the course should go ahead. The lawyers may advise that children services go up to the next level above child protection called the pre- proceedings step. This is when a legal letter is sent to you outlining the risks to your children and what you can do so they are no longer at risk. There may also be a “PLO” meeting between you and children services with lawyers present. You will be entitled to legal aid so that your solicitor can attend this meeting alongside you. The purpose of the meeting is a to try and prevent care proceedings taking place. It is a good opportunity for you to take legal advice from a solicitor who specialises in care proceedings.
Here is information about the pre proceedings process.
Please look at the triangle diagram to see the different levels of children services involvement with families.

I hope my advice helps. If you need further advice, please post again or call the advice line on 0808 801 0366.
Best wishes,