What questions do SS ask children

Unicorn21

What questions do SS ask children

Post by Unicorn21 » Tue May 11, 2021 1:34 pm

So ss are conducting a child in need assessment due to my partner being arrested and remanded for possession with intent to supply class b, May I add nothing was found in my home although police tried to say they thought I was aware of what was happening I absolutely was not!! They also said my home was a mess- it absolutely isn’t and when the SW came and did the initial assessment she mentioned nothing about the state of my home and in the 3 weeks since the initial assessment nothing has been mentioned about my home as it’s clean! It just so happened the police attended on a day I was clearing out old clothing to go to the charity shop.
The SW has informed me they are going to see my 9 year old at school - my 9 year old suffers mental health issues and anxiety which we have been getting the relevant support for I am in fact hoping SS will push her up the waiting list a bit to be honest anyway she’s really missing her daddy and just wants him home- I’m just wondering what type of things they ask? Can they ask leading questions? I’m just concerned that it could be a case of words being put into my daughters mouth.

Thanks

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: What questions do SS ask children

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Mon May 17, 2021 5:06 pm

Dear Unicorn21,

Thank you for your further post about your situation. Children services are carrying out an assessment and as part of this they are seeing your daughter in school. You say she suffers from anxiety and some mental health issues and you are waiting for the relevant support from CAMHs. You outlined in your earlier post how you thought her anxiety was linked to bereavement and to your partner being in a serious motorcycle accident and being left with a traumatic brain injury and physical injuries. He also suffers from depression which he has not sought treatment for.

An assessment looks at your daughters developmental needs (such as her health, education and emotional needs, and your ability(and dad’s) to meet her needs and whether you need support to do this (for example from cahms). When examining your parenting ability, this will include your ability to protect against her suffering abuse or neglect due to your partner's drug use and dealing and they may explore with you whether you are aware of his lifestyle and whether you could be using drugs. Here is some information on our website about drug and alcohol use and the possible effects on children.
The assessment also looks at the environment you live in, at home and the community and your family and friend support network. The social worker may also explore whether your daughter is a young carer for your partner given his health needs and can offer support to your daughter or your partner. Did he ever have an assessment from adult social care?

You ask what questions the social worker may ask your daughter. The social worker will be exploring how your daughter is feeling and what home and school life are like for her. She will be looking to see what support your daughter might benefit from. She may use drawing and art and play games with her as part of finding out more about your daughter. The social worker will use open questions rather than direct questions. I would expect the social worker to see you and your children together so that she can see how you all interact.
Here is information about different assessments including young carers assessments.
I hope my advice goes someway to answering your questions but if you need further advice, please post again.
Best wishes,
Suzie