Social services

Post Reply
unhappy 85
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:56 am

Social services

Post by unhappy 85 » Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:55 pm

Hello all
I am a mother writing on behalf of my son who is in prison for communication. I need to find out if social services can impose restrictions on him re seeing his child as they did not do this after his arrest, and he carried on living in the family home. He pleaded guilty on October and was sentenced in December but again no social service involvement.Also he has not seen his son whilst in prison as his wife will not sign the consent form, is there anything I can do about this.

User avatar
Suzie, FRG Adviser
Posts: 3012
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:57 pm

Re: Social services

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Wed May 05, 2021 3:56 pm

Dear unhappy 85

Thank you for your post.

From what you write, it may be that children's services are not preventing your son from seeing his child – you have said that they have not been involved in his situation. It may be as you suggest, his wife.

Here is a charity that may be able to help and advise you and your son. He may also get some help from Prisoners’ Advice Service.

I hope this information helps.

Best wishes


Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:46 pm

Re: Social services

Post by Forest01 » Sat May 08, 2021 6:24 am


I can only post based on being committed to prison for a similar offence.

Firstly access to Children in prison for anyone committed of a sexual offence involving Children and also some other offences requires authorisation by the Prison, Carer/Guardian/Parent of the Child, Social Services and sometimes the Police and Probation service. The first step taken is that the prison will write to the Carer/Guardian/Parent of the child and if they do not consent to any form of contact then the prison will not pursue the matter any further.

Unfortunately as his wife has said no contact at the moment the prison will not allow him to have contact.

If a prisoner attempts to contact a child they do not have permission to contact this can be picked up through checking their post and phone calls. If they are found to be contacting a child this can lead to action by the prison against the prisoner.

I am surprised that social services have not yet been involved as for me they were involved from day one. In my case the court made a referral to social services at the point I was presented to the magistrates court.

When your son is ready for release to prison it is likely his probation officer will make a referral to social services who will then make a decision about whether your son can live with his children and what level of contact he can have with his children.

For me I have been out of prison for 4 months and can still only have supervised contact with my children, my partner is supportive of more contact but Social Services are not willing to allow this until I have done further work with the probation service. I am unable to return to my house when my Children are not there as Social Services said I am not allowed to go back to the house for any reason.

unhappy 85
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:56 am

Re: Social services

Post by unhappy 85 » Wed May 26, 2021 6:35 pm

Forest 1
Can I ask are you on SHPO as my son will be on it when he comes home, but it reads all stuff about using the internet and the only other condition is he is not allowed any contact with females under 16. He has a son who is 3,will he be allowed to see him.

Kitty 33
Posts: 52
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:48 am

Re: Social services

Post by Kitty 33 » Thu May 27, 2021 3:30 pm

i no its diffrent but my bf was on sopo and when we had our fisrt baby they took him off us and i am naw pregnant he is off licens we have to have a pre birth assesment done but when he was on licens he was not aloud eany contact whit children under 16 they would not evan allow him to have supervised contact but this time will hopefully be diffrent cause he as no licesn

Post Reply