Social involved again

Unicorn21

Social involved again

Post by Unicorn21 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:34 am

Hi Everyone,

just need a little advice so some background for you- in June 2013 my partner went to prison for class a drug dealing- absolute arse i know and naturally the police referred to SS- anyway they came and did an assessment saw my daughter was at no risk and closed the case, my partner came back to live with us once he was released from prison no issues. We went on to have another child, everything was fine but my daughter developed anxiety and mental health issues- which we have sought the most appropriate support for through school and primary mental health, we even approached CAMHs but they didnt want to know; we also have the support of a family worker for my daughter.
My daughters issues with anxiety are mainly around the loss of loved ones unfortunatley her grandad died unexpectedly and she had a very close bond with him and in 2018 my partner (childrens dad) was involved in a very serious motorcycle accident and almost lost his life. Since his accident my partner has become very up and down and clearly suffers boughts of depression but he doesnt talk to anyone ive told him a million times to get help- he says he feels down because he has to rely on me financially and in general and it makes him feel less of a man (he cant work at present due to physical injury and traumatic brain injury).
Found out in 2020 that he had emotionally cheated on me, i was angry and hurt and naturally this caused an arguement it shouldnt have happened but my daughter heard this and then went to school and said myself and her dad had;had a fight(we shouted at each other there was nothing physical and never has been ) - they contacted social services, SS came and did an assessment and spoke to my daughter who explained that she mean we had been shouting not hitting each other but SS felt we may need support of a family worker as my daughter had behavioural/mental health issues, the family worker was around for about a month and decided we no longer needed her support.
fast forward to now- about 2 weeks ago my partner was arrested whilst out and i had police turn up at my house to search it- obviously nothing was found upon speaking to my partner who was remanded i find that he has been dealing again only this time class b- i was not aware of any of this until this day- he told me he was helping a friend (some friend huh!) and that he was fed up of relying on me for money and it was making him depressed not being able to provide for me and that kids (no excuse to me!! ive told him hes in last chance saloon he either fixes up when he gets out of prison or he can leave me and the kids alone and hell only see them at weekends) again the police referred to SS and they came to do what they told me was a child in need assessment- i have no issues with this my children are not at risk of any harm and never have they been nor will they ever be - i know what there dad has done could have potentially placed them at risk but this hasnt happened and he himself is no risk to the children, this is why im so mad with him because hes an amazing dad the kids adore him and he has such a close bond with both of them- my daughter is particularly suffering as she misses her dad sooo much and just wants him home- i am hoping SS can push my referral to primary mental health through so that my daughter doesnt have to wait the 6 months ive currently been told- my daughter now has anxieties that SS wont allow my partner (her dad) to return home and live with us when hes released or that SS will take her and her brother away from me and their dad because this is the 3rd time now they have been involved (all previous cases closed) my question is can they do that?? TIA

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Social involved again

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:02 pm

Dear Unicorn21,

You say in your post that your partner, your children’s father, went to prison for dealing Class A drugs in 2013. This resulted in a referral to children’s services, but no further action resulted. Your partner returned to your home upon his release, and you went on to have another child. You say that your daughter has developed anxiety and some mental health issues and that you have sought some support for this. Your partner also suffers from bouts of depression following a serious accident.

In 2020, you and your partner had an argument which also led to a referral to children’s services after your daughter mentioned it at school. An assessment was completed, and you were given a family support worker due to your daughter’s mental and behavioural challenges, however the case was closed after a month.

You say that two weeks ago, your partner was arrested for dealing Class B drugs and is now on remand. Children’s services are completing a child in need assessment. You say that your children are not at risk of harm and that your partner is a good father. Your daughter is missing her father and you would like some assistance with a mental health referral for your daughter. You are worried that children’s services will stop your partner from returning to your home when he is released, and that the children could be removed from your care given the history of previous involvement.

Children’s services have received a referral about the safety of your children due to your partner’s arrest and are therefore completing an assessment to better understand the situation. This is what is sometimes known as a child in need assessment under S. 17 of the children act. You can read more about what to expect from a child in need assessment here. It is important that during this assessment your work openly with the social worker and that you acknowledge all the risks posed to your children as a result of your partner dealing class B drugs; whilst you say that no harm has been caused to them, children’s services will be looking to see that you have some insight into this and that you are able to act in a protective capacity if necessary.

There are several outcomes that can come from a child in need assessment; if, like last time, children’s services do not think your family requires further support, they may recommend no further action. However, given the previous referrals, the social worker may recommend a child in need plan. As part of this plan, children’s services should assist in providing support and services, which may include extra support for your daughter’s mental health. If at any point children’s services think your children have suffered significant harm or are likely to suffer significant harm, they may initiate child protection enquiries, which may result in your children being placed on a child protection plan. You can read more about this here.

You say that your partner is on remand – has a court date been set? The outcome of these criminal proceedings may factor into children’s services assessment of risk, for example, if he is likely to return to the home, or to remain in custody. Whilst children’s services do not have the legal power to stop your partner returning to the family home if he is released, if they assess him to be a high risk, and he does return, they may escalate their level of involvement, which could include applying to the family courts. Children’s services cannot remove your children against your wishes without an order from a judge. If you would like to read more about this, you can do so here..

It is difficult for me to say what the outcome of this assessment may be or how children’s services may now act. Applying to the courts for the removal of children is a drastic step, and they should work closely with the family to ensure the children are safe and to avoid doing until necessary. It may be helpful for you to read our tips on working with a social worker here..

I hope you have found this helpful.

Best wishes,

Suzie.