Wrongly accused... now what?

Worriedmum21

Wrongly accused... now what?

Post by Worriedmum21 » Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:14 pm

Hi,
So I am looking for some advice regarding how we move on from the situation we have found ourselves in and how and if we can make a formal complaint.

Around 6 weeks ago my 10 month old son became poorly, at the time all of the symptoms he had pointed to an ear infection and also teething.. my initial suspicion for the ear infection was that he was pulling quite ferociously on his outer ear to the point he'd caused a slight pea sized bruise on the outer cartilidge. I took him to the GP, the nurse we saw claimed he had a waxy ear and to treat with olive oil. Which we did.

As the week progressed he was not improving and was still spiking temperature and went completely off his food. One morning he projectile vomited all of his milk and I was concerned due to lack of fluids he would become dehydrated. I called 111 and was advised to take him up to the local a&e to have him checked out.

On arrival he was admitted and treated on a sepsis pathway as they said that he had an infection but they could not find the route of it.

The following day I was visited by the consultant and she informed me that the bruise he had caused could not possibly caused by himself and would need to be investigated as it was unexplained. I was then seen by a hospital safeguarding officer and advised he would need skeletal survey, ct scan and ophthalmology scan. These were all completed and came back clear.. as we expected.

A strategy meeting took place and we were told he would only be allowed to come home under a supervision order in which my mum had to come and stay with us around the clock whilst they completed a section 47 assessment.

Since then social services have completed 3 visits (1 unannounced due to timeframe of them taking to complete) and we are awaiting the report however have been told the case has been closed and is NFA.

Whilst we understand there are policies in place to protect vulnerable children, however we feel we have been subject to very intrusive investigation based on the fact we were not believed by one doctor. Since his discharge 2 other doctors that we have consulted have said it is completely plausible and you have just been unlucky, however they wouldn't go head to head against another doctor.. this leaves a very sour taste as we are now stuck in limbo with a section 47 hanging over our head and are we now expected to just get on with it seems due to the fact our little boy wasnt taken away from us it isn't serious enough... despite the fact the sw claimed he would have been if not for my mum being able to come and stay with us.

Has anyone been through this where they have been wrongly accused and what next steps can we take to clear ours and ultimately our little boys name x

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Wrongly accused... now what?

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:07 pm

Dear Worriedmum21

Welcome to the parents’ discussion forum and thank you for your post.

My name is Suzie, online adviser at Family Rights Group. I am sorry that you have had to go through this experience with the hospital and children’s services following a referral being made that your son had an unexplained bruise.

Whilst I can understand that you are unhappy you were not believed and because of the referral to children’s services, they carried out child protection enquiries under s.47 of the Children Act 1989.

Usually, when children’s services receive a referral regarding safeguarding concerns, they must decide within a day of the referral of what action will be taken. In your case, it was decided that child protection investigation would be done. In circumstances where a child has suffered an injury, children’s services do ask on occasions if there is a family who is able to be present and supervise in the home. If this is not possible, the parent(s) would be asked if there is a family member with whom the child could stay whilst the investigation is carried out. The last resort would be, with the parent(s) consent for the child to be placed with stranger foster carer. In all these cases if the parent did not agree and it was considered necessary for a child safety to be out of the home, then children’s services would have no alternative but to apply for an order from the court so they would be able to move the child to foster care.

It is good that you mother was able to assist during the enquiries being carried out. Section 47 enquiries can take up to 45 days to complete. In your case, the outcome was no further action and the file closed.

You say in your post that you are unhappy with the intrusive nature of the s.47procedure. I understand this, but there are circumstances when a child is brought to hospital with a bruise and then found to have more extensive injuries after an X-ray. Children’s services acted on the basis of the referral from a doctor, and you may wish to consider whether a complaint to the hospital would be appropriate. It does not appear from your post that you have a complaint regarding the s.47 procedures.

You may find it helpful to read information on our website about https://frg.org.uk/get-help-and-advice/ ... rotection/ as well as information about children’s services procedures in this link https://frg.org.uk/get-help-and-advice/ ... -services/
I hope this information is helpful

Best wishes

Suzie

HH_Dad

Re: Wrongly accused... now what?

Post by HH_Dad » Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:18 pm

Hi Worriedmum21,

Your ordeal struck a chord with me as my wife and I went through something similar two years ago. The way they (the hospitals and, especially, Social Services) treat people is utterly disgraceful and it's about time something was done about it. Coming in heavy-handed, breaking families up, accusing innocent people, causing unbelievable distress and then simply walking away from it when it's proved they have got it wrong... it's shocking.

I have sent you a private message.