Do i complain about the social worker?

FGR41

Do i complain about the social worker?

Post by FGR41 » Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:56 am

I am needing some advice.
So i was made aware on September that my brother assaulted my 4yr old nephew, when i tried to discuss it with him and his partner they both blamed the 4yr old child by saying he should not of kicked his dad. Anyway i contacted social services to express my concerns that they both thought it was ok to think it was the childs fault for the incident and i was asked if my concerns could be added to the case conference notes and i agreed.
So my brother was not allowed in the family home and i was helping the mother look after the children (she has 2). I was called by the mother one night saying i needed a DBS check and i agreed and said i already had one in my role as a nurse but happy to be checked. These forms never arrived and i contacted the social worker to ask about these forms as i wanted to keep myself safe from my brother (he very malicious) and the social worker even said to me at one point ''i dont know why everyone so bothered about these forms''. I found this very unhelpful and took it higher to her manager and the forms were sent.
About a week later i received a call from the mother of the children to say i could not be DBS checked as my brother had made an allagation about my partner saying that he was an alcoholic and regularly takes my children out whilst drunk. There was an incident in the April where he had a drink and fell off a push bike (the bike was broken and on a rocky road) my children (10) (13) were never at harm or at risk during this time. I was then told that the Social worker had contacted a nursery manager (where the niece and nephew attend) where i have never had any involvment at all with who had confirmed that she knew my partner and he was an alcoholic. This manager only knew him by attending the same school 20years previously. So from that moment on i contacted the duty social worker who advised why i could not be DBS checked and i advised them i was washing my hands from the situation as i needed to protect my own family and my job from these malicious people.
There social worker then made a referral to the duty social worker based on this information and i had a call to say they were looking into the allagations, these were done that day and concluded no concerns.
From this i also complained to the nursery area manager as the nursery manager has made allergations based upon here say and if she had genuine concerns why did she not follow safeguarding policy in april, she was found in the wrong by her company and had underwent disaplinary process.
So fast forward to now, i was made aware by the nursing and midwifey council that my brother and his partner have put in complaint to them about how i was investigated by social services and cannot safeguard my own children so how can i safeguard patients, this has had a potential deprimental effect on my employment and i am currently awaiting the outcome from them.
But i want to know can i complain to social services? i believe their social worker obtained information from someone random person who did not know us and not crediable at all and was this information obtained ethically, she approched the nursery not the other way around.
Also because of this i could potentially loose my job (this is how severe it is). I just dont know what to do but feel if this information had not have been used against us then there would be nothing to report to the NMC.

FGR41

Re: Do i complain about the social worker?

Post by FGR41 » Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:02 am

Just an update.
So ive sought advice from social worker England who have advised we make a formal complaint to the local authority and also the governing body for social workers.
It appears the social worker obtained information unethically about us. She has used the "professional" opinion about us but it clearly as day states the "professional" should be involved with our family, which they were not.
She has abused her position as a social worker and filed inaccurate and defamatory reports.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:00 pm

Dear FGR41,

Welcome to the parents' board and thank you for your post.

You say in your post that you contacted children's services with concerns about your brother assaulting your 4 year old nephew. You agreed for your concerns to be added to the case conference notes. Your brother was then not allowed into the home and you were asked to undergo a DBS check as you were helping the children's mother to look after them. You were then told that you could not be DBS checked as your brother had informed children's services that your partner is an alcohol. You dispute this and say that the social worker contacted the manager of your niece and nephew's nursery, who affirmed the allegation based off knowing your partner many years ago. These allegations were investigated by children's services and no further action was taken. You made a complaint about the nursery manager for sharing what you say is heresay, and she underwent disciplinary procedures. You have now been informed by the nursing and midwifery council that your brother and partner have informed them that you were investigated by children's services; you are currently awaiting an outcome. You think that information about your partner was obtained unethically and would like to know if you can complain to children's services.

It would appear from your post that the social worker may have sought information about your partner from a professional that was not directly involved in your family's life. If the social worker wanted to investigate these allegations based on the fact that you yourself also have children, this should have been made clear to you. Any information sought should have been done so with your consent as a matter of good practice. If your consent was not sought and you think information was shared inappropriately, you can make a formal complaint to children's services about this. For more information on making a complaint, take a look at our advice sheet here.

Unfortunately I am not able to comment on how the nursing and midwifery council will handle your brother's complaint to them.

I hope you have found this helpful.

Best wishes,

Suzie

FGR41

Post by FGR41 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:27 pm

Hi sorry for the long delay in replying. As you can imagine i have been very stressed and depressed following this.

Anyway i have mad an offical complaint to both social worker England and the local authority about the conduct of the mentioned social worker.
Today i had a meeting with the local authority investigating officer. He was lovely and he himself could not see why the social worker has contacted a "professional" who wasn't involved with me or my children in either a professional or personal capacity. He agreed she has appeared to have obtained unreliable "heresay" evidence to discredit me. And was gained unethically as she contacted this professional on the advice of my brother. He also had concerns about her reply to the NMC as that was her personal opinion and not factual. And he also raised concerns about how long it took her to make a referral once provided with the allegation about me. He seemed very genuine and asked me what i wanted to happen with the social worker and all I asked was for an apology. I raised a concern that the information she has placed on the referral is incorrect and slanderous and that she has falsified documents which he agreed with. I cannot believe a social worker is capable of lying when a genuine family member raises a concern. I have told him i feel anxious about ever raising concerns again in fear of repercussions. I will now wait to see the outcome of his investigation. I genuinely do feel sorry for this social worker if she is likey to be in trouble but the other side of me thinks that she has brought this on herself and if she has done this to me what else hasn't been looked into properly or missed and that there are still two childern at risk of harm.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:53 pm

Dear FGR41,

I am pleased to hear that you have received a satisfactory response to your formal complaint.

Best wishes,

Suzie

Ermintrude

Post by Ermintrude » Sat May 22, 2021 1:01 pm

Hi

Great to hear you seem to have got this resolved.

Social workers often go against the frameworks they are supposed to work within and exaggerate their powers and seem to have little understand about the law of consent.

I had similar and our local council have now upheld my complaints.

However please make sure you do a full Subject Access request to find out what information the Council hold on you, and then make sure it is removed.
I’m now having to go through the Information Commissioner’s Office to resolve mine.

I’d also advise that if they do ask professionals - you ensure you know what qualifications that ‘professional’ has and what professional body they are registered with.
The Early Help worker who caused large amounts of issues was always referred to as a professional but was not as she was not a member of any professional body. In your case I’d imaging the nursery work has little more then an NVQ Level 2 - ie a low level GCSE to her name so should not be referred to as a professional.

Hope you get your side straight

FGR41

Post by FGR41 » Sat May 22, 2021 1:13 pm

Hi
Little bit of an unpdate.
We have had an apology from the local authority.
The social worker was in the wrong for using unreliable information and that this "professional" should have rang the duty social worker team and made a referral and not the social worker. The outcome - complaint upheld and social worker been trained on the referral process.
No mention about why she has slandered me to the NMC (who are still investigating) so we went back to the local authority to ask them why they did nkt ask her that and they were going to speak to her, unfortunately she has now gone on the sick so we have to wait until she returns and they can ask her.