Possession of iioc / reunite family

ConsUK

Possession of iioc / reunite family

Post by ConsUK » Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:26 pm

Hi, currently I'm on probation and 10y shpo, would anything change regarding social services involvement once the probation is over ? My son is on child protection plan and I'm a medium risk now . Me and his mom went to divorce and the things are not so good between as but if there is any chance to be a family again I would do anything for that and if she will be convinced that there is no risk to loose the child probably will change her attitude regarding me.
Anyone that have some experience in reunite the family or any advices?

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Possession of iioc / reunite family

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:52 pm

Dear ConsUK,

Welcome to the parents' board and thank you for your post.

You say that you are currently on probation and subject to a 10 year SHPO. Your son is on a child protection plan and you describe yourself as being medium risk now. You say that things are not going well between you and your son's mother, but would like to know if there is a way that your family could reunite. You say that if your son's mother believed she would not lose your son, she may consider reconciling.

I am assuming from your post that your son is currently subject to a CP plan due to the offences you have committed which have led to you now being on probation and subject to a SHPO. You do not mention the exact nature of offence, but say you are medium risk - is this based on an assessment completed by children's services?

The fact that your son is on a child protection plan indicates that children services have reason to believe he has suffered significant harm or is at risk of suffering significant harm. Based on this, the child protection plan may include steps to keep him safe - does this include you living outside of the home? What are your current contact arrangements with your son, and is contact unsupervised or supervised?

Have children's services stated that they would have concerns if you and your partner were to resume your relationship? Whilst this may be yours and her choice to do so, if children's services believe this would pose significant risks to your son, they may take further action, such as applying to the courts in order to remove him from your care. This is a drastic step, but you can read more about this on our child protection advice sheet and on our care proceedings advice sheet.

It is important that your and your son's mother prioritise your son's best interests and right now, this may not mean reunifying as a family. If you would like contact with your son, or increased contact, you should discuss this with children's services, who should be able to support any arrangements, if appropriate, based on the level of risk.

You may find it helpful to contact the Lucy Faithful Foundation, Stop it Now helpline, you can find the link here.

Best wishes,

Suzie

ConsUK

Post by ConsUK » Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:19 pm

Suzie, FRG Adviser wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:52 pm Dear ConsUK,

Welcome to the parents' board and thank you for your post.

You say that you are currently on probation and subject to a 10 year SHPO. Your son is on a child protection plan and you describe yourself as being medium risk now. You say that things are not going well between you and your son's mother, but would like to know if there is a way that your family could reunite. You say that if your son's mother believed she would not lose your son, she may consider reconciling.

I am assuming from your post that your son is currently subject to a CP plan due to the offences you have committed which have led to you now being on probation and subject to a SHPO. You do not mention the exact nature of offence, but say you are medium risk - is this based on an assessment completed by children's services?

The fact that your son is on a child protection plan indicates that children services have reason to believe he has suffered significant harm or is at risk of suffering significant harm. Based on this, the child protection plan may include steps to keep him safe - does this include you living outside of the home? What are your current contact arrangements with your son, and is contact unsupervised or supervised?

Have children's services stated that they would have concerns if you and your partner were to resume your relationship? Whilst this may be yours and her choice to do so, if children's services believe this would pose significant risks to your son, they may take further action, such as applying to the courts in order to remove him from your care. This is a drastic step, but you can read more about this on our child protection advice sheet and on our care proceedings advice sheet.

It is important that your and your son's mother prioritise your son's best interests and right now, this may not mean reunifying as a family. If you would like contact with your son, or increased contact, you should discuss this with children's services, who should be able to support any arrangements, if appropriate, based on the level of risk.

You may find it helpful to contact the Lucy Faithful Foundation, Stop it Now helpline, you can find the link here.

Best wishes,

Suzie
Hi Suzie and thank you for your reply.
Yes my son is on a CP, the offence is related with possession of iioc. I have just supervised contact for 2 hours in public spaces per week. I'm not allowed to go home , actually few days ago it was my son birthday and I wasn't allowed to make his birthday even if in the house they were another two adults that know the situation. They are not saying clearly to me if a family reunification would be possible or not, actually they barely speak with me.
From my knowledge they using in our case my probation assessment.

"The police and social services are worried that Father has been accessing indecent images on his computer within the home. We are worried that Father has been accessing graphic videos and photos of very young children over a period of 10 years and in ... was found guilty of these charges and that despite this mom still wanted him to live with them. We are worried that there is a risk posed to ... whereby he may be physically, sexually or emotionally harmed by his Father's actions if this was to happen."

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:43 pm

Dear ConsUK,

Given children's services concerns, it would be useful for you to follow the steps outlined on the child protection plan, in order to show that you are prioritising your son's best interests. This includes following the terms of supervised contact that has been agreed.

It is important that you are included in any safety planning and that the social worker does communicate with you. If you do not feel this is happening, then you can ask to speak to the team manager, or the child protection chair.

Best wishes,

Suzie

ConsUK

Post by ConsUK » Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:02 pm

Suzie, FRG Adviser wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:43 pm Dear ConsUK,

Given children's services concerns, it would be useful for you to follow the steps outlined on the child protection plan, in order to show that you are prioritising your son's best interests. This includes following the terms of supervised contact that has been agreed.

It is important that you are included in any safety planning and that the social worker does communicate with you. If you do not feel this is happening, then you can ask to speak to the team manager, or the child protection chair.

Best wishes,

Suzie
Thank You again for reply.
Probably you already know, but nothing was agreed just imposed.
I know that I need to follow that plan even if I'm not agree with it, because there is no other option.

Still your answer doesn't give any answer to my main question.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:22 pm

Dear Consuk,

Thank you for your post and I am sorry that you do not feel your main question has been answered. Would you like to ask the question that you do not feel has been answered again?

Best wishes,

Suzie

ConsUK

Post by ConsUK » Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:53 am

Hi, a bit of update. My child was moved from child protection plan to child in need as the social services are satisfied that me and his mother we got divorced. My probation officer is very satisfied with my rehabilitation work and doesn't see any reason for not becoming a minim risk at the end of rehabilitation period.
Still the problems persist with social services in the way of my contact and work with them , they are simply do in such a way that to avoid me . Only feedback received from them is that nothing will change regarding contact with my son until he will be 18 years old. If I want anything more than what is this moment ( supervised contact in the community) I need to look for legal advice ( they said). Regarding of a family reunion they said to my ex-wife to don't even think to that because they will never allowed.
One funny thing is that someone involved said that I would be a lower risk if I will meet another woman with kids or have kids with someone else that I would be for my son, because of emotional attachment and the fact that I viewed the images in the family home and because my wife didn't notice my activity.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:23 pm

Dear ConsUK,

You say in your post that your child is now on a child in need plan, and that you and your wife are getting divorced. Your probation officer is satisfied with your rehabilitation work and that you may be low risk at the end of this period. Children’s services are maintaining that you should only have supervised contact in the community and that this will not change until your child is 18. Children’s services have stated that you pose a risk to your son as your viewed images in the family home and because your wife was not aware of your activity. They have advised you to seek legal advice if you are not satisfied with this.

Whilst it is positive to hear that your probation period is going well, children’s services continue to assess the risk you pose to your son to be high. Due to this, they have advised that contact only take place in the community and that it must be supervised. You do not agree with this and have expressed this to the social worker. If contact were to take place in any other way other than what has been stipulated, children’s services may become very concerned and may seek legal action. It may be helpful to speak to the social worker about how contact arrangements may be reviewed and whether there is any possibility of this – however, due to what you have stated in your previous posts and the nature of your offence, children’s services may never be fully comfortable with you having unsupervised contact with your child.

If you are dissatisfied with this, you may want to consider applying to the courts for a child arrangements order. This means that a judge will look at your child’s circumstances and may make a legal order regarding contact based on what is in your child’s best interests.

Best wishes,

Suzie.