SGO no longer wants to continue

Scaredmum2020

SGO no longer wants to continue

Post by Scaredmum2020 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:03 pm

My daughter is under a SGO and has been for the past 11 months. My friend is the one who has her. I received a message to day saying she's not sure if she wants to continue. She ready has 5 other children and feels she doesn't get recognised enough for what she does. I pay her money each month but she says what she gets isn't enough.

I have made changes but the court said originally that I cannot apply to revoke until August. Said to the sgo holder I would apply back now but she feels it will make it worse for me and that ss will just go for adoption.

I'm really stuck on what to do. Can I apply not under extenuating circumstances? Do I contact SS direct and tell them the issue? Also will I get the chance to be re assessed as the sgo her doesn't think I will.

I really don't want her going up for adoption without another chance. Thank you

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: SGO no longer wants to continue

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:02 pm

Dear Scaredmum2020

Thank you for your post and welcome to the parents’ discussion board.

My name is Suzie, online adviser, at Family Rights Group.

I see from your post that you have concerns regarding the special guardian’s decision that she no longer wishes to have the special guardianship order made 11 months ago in her favour by the court.

It is not clear from your post if the special guardianship order was made in care proceedings brought by the local authority or it was an application made by your friend herself to the court. If your daughter was in foster care before the special guardianship order was made, I think the special guardian might have been entitled to receive a special guardianship allowance. You say you are giving money to the special guardian which suggests that your daughter was never a looked after child.

As the special guardian has parental responsibility for your daughter, she can claim the appropriate benefits for her.

You want to know about going to court to discharge the special guardianship order. It is possible for you to apply to the court for permission to make the application to discharge the order. Usually, a special guardianship order is made for the whole period until a child reaches 18. Your friend would have been assessed and her family circumstances considered, before a recommendation that your daughter could be in her care.

The special guardian has suggested that adoption would be considered for your daughter if you apply to the court. It would depend on any concerns about your ability to safely care for your daughter. The issues that led to your daughter being removed from your will be looked at again and, if as you say, you have made changes these will be looked at as well.

If children’s services wanted to consider adoption, they would need permission from the court before this and, as stated above, your circumstances would be looked at again.

Please our advice sheets below for more information

https://www.frg.org.uk/images/Advice_Sh ... diy-sg.pdf see pages 10-11

https://www.frg.org.uk/images/Advice_Sh ... arents.pdf

I hope you will find this helpful.

Best wishes

Suzie