Emotional Harm due to Family History

Shaftesbury

Emotional Harm due to Family History

Post by Shaftesbury » Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:30 pm

Hi

The father of my baby has a historical sexual conviction. It is spent and he is no longer on the sex offenders register.

My partner was assessed by the Lucy Faithful Foundation and the result was that the sexual risk he poses to our baby is very low.

The Local Authority were satisfied with this and my partner's contact with our baby was going to progress.

However, now the Local Authority are saying it will be emotionally harmful for our baby to grow up with a parent who has a historical sexual conviction, and therefore they are considering removing our baby from my care.

I am so worried what this will mean as I can't imagine the baby will be able to be placed with relatives or that I will be able to remain in contact as the baby's father's history will still be there. The only way I can see the history can be fully hidden from the baby is by adoption, and the thought of this is killing me.

I would separate from my partner but that won't remove the fact my baby's father has a sexual conviction in his history.

I can't believe a child could be removed on such grounds. I am desperate to keep my baby but I can't see a way out of this as no matter what I do, if I keep the baby, he will still have a sexual offence conviction in his family history.

Please could somebody advise? Thank you.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Emotional Harm due to Family History

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:01 pm

Dear Shaftesbury,
I am sorry to hear about the difficulties that occurred during the final hearing which you referred to in your earlier post. Was any evidence given at the final hearing? If so, have you got a copy of the reasons the judge gave for his decision? What is your solicitor saying? The judge advised that the local authority submit new care plans and you say this has now happened. However, the plans say your baby will be emotionally harmed by being brought up with a father who was on the sex offender’s register. Has your solicitor clarified why your baby would be emotionally abused by this? Are dad’s past convictions known to the community where you live? Is it to do with your older children or being excluded from the rest of your family? There was a court case when a child was going to be excluded and isolated from their community and family (and so suffer emotional abuse) if he had contact with his father but in different circumstances.
I suggest you explore all the options with your solicitor. The courts need to take into account the Human Rights Act 1998 and so be proportionate when they intervene. I cannot see that adoption would be the answer based solely on a father having spent convictions. If there is a chance your son baby will be removed from you, it is vitally important that family or friends or
“connected persons” are assessed to take on the care of your baby so as to avoid adoption.
I am sorry I cannot give a fuller answer, but your solicitor should be able to advise further.
Kind regards,
Suzie