Psychology reports/ ex substance misusers

Polarbear

Psychology reports/ ex substance misusers

Post by Polarbear » Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:54 pm

Hi All
I had my 8 year old taken into foster care at the beginning of last year due to personal issues which unfortunately caused me to turn to alcohol. As soon as she was taken I stopped with the drink and got my life back on track. After a hair and blood sample returned clean the rug was pulled from under me and the reasons why she could not return to my care was stated that I wouldn't be able to handle her emotional issues (hadn't been a concern before). This was after the SW had read the psychological report. After extensive research on this it seems to me that this is happening to far too many families (especially ex alcohol/ drug use). Anyway, I had a few psychologists named to me and there were a couple that kept turning up so I was wondering if you could share your experience and area and see if we can help this stop happening to other parents. I realise that we cannot name names but I would like to see if the ones that have been mentioned previously turn up numerous times so hints would be grateful.
Thanks in advance
Mine is
I AM (psy. Initials) in *** (Not the *).
Moderated for reasons of confidentiality

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Psychology reports/ ex substance misusers

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:39 pm

Dear Polarbear

Welcome to the parents’ discussion forum and thank you for posting.

My name is Suzie, online adviser at Family Rights Group.

I see from your post that your daughter is no longer in your care and may be subject to a final care order.

You say that you stopped drinking when your daughter was removed from your care and got your life back on track. You had a negative hair strand and blood test, but this did not help your situation as your daughter could not be returned to your care.

From you post, it appears that you are of the view that the issue relating to your ability to meet your daughter’s emotional needs, came about only after a psychological assessment was carried and the report seen by children’s services. It may be that the reason that the psychological report was requested was because of concerns about your alcohol misuse and how this impacted on your parenting. The reasons that led children’s services to become involved in the first place would also have been considered by the court as well as any changes you may have made during the course the case and, whether these would be sustainable, for your daughter’s timescale.

If, at the time of the hearing, you had concerns about what the psychologist report stated this could have been challenged by your legal representatives since the report would have been part of the evidence before the court.

It may be that other parents share their experiences regarding psychologists with you as you requested in your post, but you should bear in mind that each person’s case is different and a psychologist will usually be asked to assess different things for particular persons.

I have responded to your post to give a little more explanation of why a psychologist might be asked to do an assessment/report. This information in this link https://www.frg.org.uk/need-help-or-adv ... ment-adult from our website may be of help in respect of psychological assessments.

Best wishes

Suzie