Close-out procedures

theprejudiced

Close-out procedures

Post by theprejudiced » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:12 pm

Dear Board,

After 6 years battling with xxxxx Childrens Services, they have finally come to their senses and decided to close their file on my daughter.

They should be closing the case in January however; Following a discussion with the social worker, it appears that they will only close the case with "conditions".

As always, prior to any meeting - I have not been made privvy to this information, and do not know what these "conditions" may be.

My question is this... Can xxxxx Childrens Services close a case "on condition"? i.e. we'll close the case if you agree to solve world hunger / never try to contact your children ever again until the end of time. It smacks of "wednesbury unreasonableness" to me but I'm no lawyer.

I just need to know, if they ask me to sign any kind of agreement whether I should or not and whether I should just walk out of there if they say they'll only close the case if certain conditions are met.

Thank you soooo much for any advice you may be able to give!

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Close-out procedures

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:56 am

Thank you for posting on our discussion board.
I agree that it does sound unreasonable to close a case only “on condition” of you signing an agreement that you have not yet seen. Also a case is either open or closed.

Written agreements

However, often, children services may want parents to sign agreements about for example, safely in respect of contact with other parents, attending health appointments etc.
Parents need to have time to look over the agreement and seek legal advice if they want to and consider amendments.
Ask for a copy of the agreement in writing before the meeting-could they email it to you? -ask for time to look over the agreement and consider amendments which you could negotiate with children’s services.

If they do not send you a copy of the agreement before the meeting or add new terms to the agreement at the meeting, or you have any other concerns about signing the agreement-do not sign until you have taken advice about it. If you want you could always post back on this forum details of the agreement (make sure that you take out any ID details), or telephone our advice line or email a copy of the agreement to our email service. advice@frg.org.uk (FRG aim to respond within 3 working days).

I would not recommend walking out of the meeting as this may be taken as you not cooperating with them. If you did feel angry or upset in any meeting-you could ask for 5 minutes to compose yourself, ask for a friend or family member to support you. (But remember that confidential information is being discussed.) In many meetings you can take a solicitor or advocate.(Although solicitors usually can only attend set statutory meetings).
See our advice sheet
advocacy

Best wishes,
Suzie

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:08 pm

Hi,

I have taken out the name of children services from your post. I was worried that it might identify you as the forum is open for everyone to read.
Kind regards,

Suzie

theprejudiced

Post by theprejudiced » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:33 pm

Thanks Suzie.

I have been informed of what conditions they would like to enforce. However, you wouldn't belive how bizarre they are and I can't post them here as doing so would DEFINATELY identify me!

I was indeed very much under the impression that a case was either open or closed but it appears, from other conversations with social services, that their procedure, policies and guidelines are litteraly "guidelines" and they can do what they like with no upline to be responsible to.

The whole deal smacks of "wednesbury unreasonableness" to me by them making impossible demands.

I'll let you know what happens next week.

Many thanks once again for providing this forum - it stands as another crutch for those of us who have encountered the "claws-in" lovers of this otherwise beautiful land in which we live.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:41 am

Hi,

Just to remind you that you could call our advice line to discuss the terms if you'd like to. You're right though, it would be unwise to post them here if they make you easily identifiable.

Best wishes

Suzie