Advice and help needed

Soe84

Advice and help needed

Post by Soe84 » Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:43 pm

My partner is currently being investigated for possession of an indecent image now its in week 7 and still no further forward. However I have a 16yr old so social services have become involved. My child lives with their dad and whilst this investigation is ongoing my partner isnt living with me. Now social services have told my child's dad that because of a safe guarding issue they arent allowed any contact with my child. However I dont know does that mean completely or can they still message? My child has said to me that they have never felt in danger and doesn't want anything to do with social services. I havent really spoken with social services after they basically accused me of knowing what was going on even though I had no idea. But I am at a loss of what can and can't be done as the police investigating said my partner can continue do everything he did before and social services are saying something completely different.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Advice and help needed

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:33 pm

Dear Soe84,

You say in your post that your partner is currently being investigated for possession of an indecent image. You have a 16-year-old, who lives with their father, and children’s services are now involved. You say that children’s services have told your child’s father that they are not allowed contact with someone – unfortunately from your post, I am not clear who you are referring to. Could you clarify who children’s services have said your child cannot have contact with – I assuming you are referring to your partner?

You say your child has stated that they have never felt in danger and does not want children’s services involvement. You have not spoken to children’s services after they stated they believe you were aware of your partner’s activity.

You would like some advice on what you can now do. You are confused because the police have not imposed any bail conditions on your partner but children’s services have said that there should be no contact.

You say that your partner has been under investigation for 7 weeks; are children’s services still completing an assessment, or is your child now subject to a child in need plan or child protection plan?

Children’s services have a duty to safeguard children within their area, and it is likely that due to the nature of your partner’s offence, they are concerned about the risk he could pose to your child. Even though your child has said they have not felt endangered, this does not mean they are not at risk. Children’s services have therefore asked that your partner have no contact with your child to keep them safe, even if the police have not imposed any bail conditions.

It may be helpful for you to speak to the social worker to discuss their concerns and to better understand the reasons as to why they have asked that no contact takes place. The social worker may be open to discussing how contact can take place in a safe way, such as under supervision. Ultimately, your child’s safety is the most important consideration, and the social worker will expect you to act in a protective capacity. You may find it useful to read our tips on getting the best out of working with your social worker here

Best wishes,

Suzie.

Soe84

Post by Soe84 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:06 am

Thank you for the reply.
Social services has said my partner isn't allowed any contact with anyone under the age of 18 they includes his niece and my child.
There is nothing in place with regards to social services as they asked does my partner have contact with my child I said no and I also stated that he isn't living with me either until this investigation is over. To which social services have said that when the investigation is completed and even if there is no further action they would need to do a risk assessment to ensure there was no danger.
Unfortunately when social services phoned me I was still in complete shock about it all and with my current mental health condition it tipped me over the edge.
I appreciate that social services have a duty of care towards children however I am completely at a loss of what to do as ive never dealt with something like this ever. My child's father is constantly on the phone to social services and apparently being told alot of things which when I've spoken to the police about this I've been told that social services wouldn't release thst information to him due to data protection and Unfortunately he's making things very complicated woth my child as well.
I was supposed to be put in touch with victim support because I have so many questions that I cant get answers to.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:46 pm

Dear Soe84,
Thank you for your further post.

I can see that you are cooperating with children services and are protecting your son by not allowing him contact with your partner. You are also not allowing your partner to stay over until you know the outcome of the police investigation. As the social worker says, it is normal to carry out a risk assessment even if the police drop the case. The police to prove “beyond reasonable doubt” so sometimes will not prosecute as they do not have enough evidence to to prove a case to that level. However, they may have enough evidence or the lower burden of proof that is needed for children services. Children services only need to show “on balance” that he is more likely to have committed the offence than not.

Here is Victims Support who have a helpline and can explain more about criminal investigations.

You say that your son’s father has contacted children services. As part of their assessment, children services would want to speak to him and can give some information about the risks posed to your son, if they feel that your son could be at risk of significant harm. This is so that father can take steps to protect him.
For more information about risks to children and how to protect against sexual abuse, please look at Parent’s Protect website.
I hope the investigation is over soon as I can see how stressful this would be for you.
I hope my advice helps but if you need further advice please post again.

Best wishes,
Suzie