Is a Child in Need Plan ‘truly’ voluntary?

LemonDrizzleCake

Is a Child in Need Plan ‘truly’ voluntary?

Post by LemonDrizzleCake » Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:30 pm

My husband was recently arrested for suspected possession and distribution of (one) IIOC, and has not been living in the family home since. He is not allowed to see our children at least until bail review in mid-April. We have two children aged 14 and 10. The social worker has suggested they want to put them on a CIN plan and that following bail review, contact with dad will need to be supervised. This is all fine and I consent to it and understand why it has to happen.

However, we also have my 17 year old sister (18 in 6 months) living with us under a Special Guardianship Order. I’ve just sat her down to tell her about the CIN plans, and she has basically told me that she doesn’t want to be on one, and that she won’t engage. She’s never had any positive experiences with children’s services, who failed to safeguard her from the abuse and neglect she suffered when she lived with her mum, and so will not engage with them now. She also says that in her opinion she is neither a child, nor is she in need.

I’ve tried to call the SW to discuss but haven’t heard back yet. My own children are desperately missing their dad, but also I want to respect my sisters thoughts about not being on a CIN plan. She is not bothered about having any visits with my husband (there’s no issues there at all, they’re just not that close) but crucially, will her refusal to be on a CIN plan affect my 2 being able to see their dad..?

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Is a Child in Need Plan ‘truly’ voluntary?

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:49 pm

Dear LemonDrizzleCake,

Welcome to the Parents Forum. I am Suzie, FRG’s online adviser. I am sorry for the delay in responding to your post. Here is information about child in need plans. As you can see this kind of plan is with your consent.
But as your sister is old enough to be consulted, the social worker should speak to her directly to get her wishes and feelings. If she does not consent to the plan, then her name will not be included on the Child in need (CIN) plan. In a way, she will still get some “protection” from it by just living in the same house as your children.
Your question is about consent. Yes, a child in need plan should be with your consent or the consent of a child who is old enough to consent.
Here is a FAQ about the situation when there is a CIN plan and a parent no longer wants children services involved in their family.
Your sisters position should not affect your children's contact with their father.
I hope my advice helps. Please post again if you need further advice and support.
Best wishes,
Suzie