Just had our invite to the initial Child protection plan

WorriedDadof3

Just had our invite to the initial Child protection plan

Post by WorriedDadof3 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:31 pm

Firstly thank you for the wealth of information. Long post coming up.

I have just had the invitation to the initial child protection meeting and wondered if there was anything i could do prior to the meeting to help ?
To give a little background without too much the SO was diagnosed with depression/anxiety/panic attacks around the start of lock down.
Not because of lock down but it hasn't helped.
The 10 mths we have been living through this there have been key milestones,
First 6 mths a lot of visits to A&E some with mental health episodes and some with alcohol issues SO has been identified as being a binge drinker to help cope with dark thoughts.
During this time we had some bad days and SO did push me a few times in anger, eventually calming down with a cuddle.
SO called the police on one occasion whilst not thinking, and i spoke to them all was well, but a file was reported.
They agreed that SO had what appeared to be mental health issues and a cell was not the correct place .
SO had 1st voluntary stay at the local mental health facility, for around a week.
Various visits to A&E around 4 assessments with mental health teams, on more than one occasion they have apologised to me that the system has been failing .
Adult social worker has mentioned that SO doesn't meet the criteria for her to be involved ?
Commuity based team say SO is not for them and the current care plan is sufficient.
Alcohol support has been atrocious saying they will call to support and then not, SO has managed various lengths of time "dry" up to a max of 40 days without there help.
One assessment at A&E SO had her second stay at a facility lasted 4 days and discharged for home based treatment.
Counselling started but was deemed needing more support and the lady SO was speaking too left to pass onto a another team, still waiting for this after 9 week i think it is.
SO has indicated the desire to end life when outside the home , which i called the police who found SO and section 136 to a place of safety.
3rd assessment and recommended 2 weeks in hospital. SO was discharged after 2 days. This was not helpful.
During the last few weeks i have found SO shouting for dad in our bed room with a cable around the neck, then the hospital staff say they found sO with a ligature around the neck and then discharged 12hrs later.
SO has had a seizure and taken to hospital to have a scan. All clear.
Further outburst lead to police attendance at the home, SO has gone back to hospital and is now under section 2.
4th stay in the facility.
The children's social worker has now instigated a child protection as she considers the children are experiencing significant harm on the emotional criteria.

So all i believe i have done everything i can to safeguard the children, me and SW have clashed on my parenting methods and what the kids have been exposed too, but every time they have raised concerns and asked me to do something different i have. They recognise this but still raised the protection order?
Is this purely to make the people who should be caring for my SO accountable?

sorry for long post

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Just had our invite to the initial Child protection plan

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:27 pm

Dear WorriedDadof3

Thank you for your post, my apologies for the long delay in responding to you.

Firstly can you offer clarity on the SO – is this a biological parent you are referring to (please do not give a name) or someone else?

In the meantime our advice sheet called Child protection procedures may be of help as well as our film about child protection conferences.

You seem to reference mental health concerns in your post, here is a link to Mind a mental health charity.

If you prefer to speak to an adviser please call us on our advice service. The line is open Monday to Friday, 9.30am-3pm, the number is 0808 801 0366

Best wishes

Suzie